IGNORED

Bruising - when is it a concern?

The Little Engine

Defiantly ask your GP to run tests for Von Willebrands. Although my bruises stay purple for a long time before turning black (ie still bleeding). But hey we are all different.

I look back and laugh at all the times my workplace asked me to file incident reports about my bruising from knocks from work, they looked so bad. Now I don't, actually my boss asked me if I needed to change class this year (I'm on support kinder) as I've got a little poppet that communicates through bites, punching, kicking and head butting... no way, it may look bad but I've learnt to be quicker and love and learn from the poppet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Little Engine

• Bornagirl

• STBG 2

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you actually hit *that* part of your leg by tripping and falling? It is an odd place to hit.

I'm with all the other posters - I don't think that degree of bruising is to be expected ("normal", if you like).

I also wouldn't be feeling pain from a bruise a day later, unless I actually poked it.

I'm wondering if you've actually done something more than bruise yourself on this occasion; although it does sound as though your typical bruising isn't normal either.

Personally if the pharmacist was talking about potential blood clots I'd be heading for an after hours clinic or casualty.

The Little Engine

The leg is still painful so I went to the after hours clinic when I got home tonight. The Dr said it is not normal - but didn't think it was dangerous so was not too concerned. He advised me to get blood tests done at GP and to keep the leg elevated when I can

Do you have lipoedema OP? you can get excessive bruising with that.

I've had bruises like that. I ended up with them all over my thighs and bum playing a particularly competitive game of musical chairs (as a young adult) once!

The Little Engine

Not that I know of laridae - but I do have some symptoms...

The bruise has finally stopped growing/getting darker etc but is still painful.

This combined with the persistent fever last year makes me wonder if you have something underlying going on.

I know you are insanely busy but please go and get a full check up with someone you trust. GPs here I find are not great with more complex stuff.

The leg is still painful so I went to the after hours clinic when I got home tonight. The Dr said it is not normal - but didn't think it was dangerous so was not too concerned. He advised me to get blood tests done at GP and to keep the leg elevated when I can

What that means is that this bruise is not going to see you ending up in emergency any time soon.

It doesn't mean that you don't have a condition that can be managed somehow, that makes you a healthier person.

Why didn't the doctor at the clinic write out a request for the blood tests there and then? I am a bit confused that you were told to get it done at a GP when you were at one.

The Little Engine

The after hours service here is hit and miss depending on who you get. I only went to rule out that it was dangerous immediately since I knew I wouldn't get into a normal GP for a few days. I have managed to get the duty Dr this afternoon - which is meant to be only a 5 min appointment so not sure how much will be looked at. I am meant to be driving nearly 5 hours tomorrow - I know my leg will ache with not moving and I will need to stop more and walk- but I need to know that the long drive isn't dangerous with the significant bruising

Little Bear

I know you said you bruise easily, but has there been any mention of having an x ray done to make sure you don’t have a hairline fracture?

Maybe you should wear a compression stocking for the drive home? You could probably get one from the pharmacy?

A friend of mine bruises like that and it turned out to be anaemia.

If you are travelling 5 hours with that bruise you are at increased risk of a DVT. That amount of haemorrhage is putting pressure on the deep veins. If you have a 5 minute appointment with your doctor, don't leave without a request form. It would be negligent for them to send you on your way without one.

I bruise fairly easily but I take a lot of ibuprophen.

I have also had blood clots, that's not fun. I would be concerned about the location of that bruise. See someone about it.

I have also had blood clots, that's not fun. I would be concerned about the location of that bruise. See someone about it.

Oh does that cause bruising? I take a lot too.

Guest BusbyWilkes

Yes it does. I can't take it because of clotting (lack of) issues. Also not recommended for those with asthma, but not everyone is aware of that either.

Yes! so does asprin. I get bruises from scratching mozzie bites on my thighs.

Princess Peach

Yes it does. I can't take it because of clotting (lack of) issues. Also not recommended for those with asthma, but not everyone is aware of that either.

And it shouldn’t be taken on an empty stomach.

You don’t use a lot of cortisone creams on your skin at all? My mum ends up with epic bruises like that but she’s used cortisones on her skin for 20+ years to try to control eczema.

Nassie_girl

I bruise easily, but then am always walking into things (they jump out at me really they do!!).

I also have chronic kidney disease, and getting symptoms now (loosing balance, sore muscles, hard to walk, iron low) so it means more bruises...

But l would get it checked out by your GP. All the best

TheGreenSheep

…...does everyone not bruise from scratching mossie bites?

Not from mozzies, but March flies. I react badly, the itch and swelling!!! They become deep red bruises, this time I looked like I was smashed by cricket balls. Faded after a few weeks.

Only times I’ve bruised like that is when I’ve known what’s hit it- usually a hockey ball hit very very hard.

I think further investigation is needed. I swell up with bites but don’t bruise.

…...does everyone not bruise from scratching mossie bites?

No. I've also found that if I can resist scratching it in the first instance, then it's less itchy ongoing.

Easier said than done of course, but an ice cube is handy if there's one nearby.

Advertisement