IGNORED

Has Anyone On Here Had Covid?

ImperatorFuriosa

It would be interesting for those have the question mark around maybe having had it early on but not qualifying for testing to get serology done at some point. I’m sure that’s not the priority right now, but it would be a very interesting study.

Last I read serology had less than 50% something. So a positive was a positive but a negative test was not meaningful in terms of concluding whether you've had it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• squeekums-the-elf

• Mooguru

• Okelydokely

Top Posters In This Topic

Okelydokely

It would be interesting for those have the question mark around maybe having had it early on but not qualifying for testing to get serology done at some point. I’m sure that’s not the priority right now, but it would be a very interesting study.

Last I read serology had less than 50% something. So a positive was a positive but a negative test was not meaningful in terms of concluding whether you've had it.

Interesting. Makes you wonder how prevalent it was before it all took off, hey. I guess we will never know. Makes me sad that serology can’t be used as a reliable source of data in this case!

They have done testing in NSW and estimated that the true number of cases in the first wave was triple the diagnosed cases.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/sydney-coronavirus-cases-three-times-bigger-research-suggests/12868568

purplekitty

Influenza A was cycling around at the beginning of the 2020 with very nasty symptoms.

Healthcare workers who were tested for COVID came up with Influenza A positives.

Not me. Several OS friends.

I must have had influenza A in Jan 20 as well. I got community acquired pneumonia in Dec 19 and had high fever for a week and terrible cough for months, GP admitted she should have hospitalised me but knew it would be really hard for me with a toddler at home so just gave me strict instructions on when to call an ambulance. I came close but pulled through. Definitely still have lingering effects and yes it could have been but no I'll never know. And I flew to NZ and back mid Jan. DH and the cousin I was visiting also got hideously ill with coughing.

DH got back from overseas (at a conference where people caught covid), and had a mild cold. He couldn’t get a test because he didn’t have a sore throat. I’m sure he did probably just have a mild cold, no one else got sick, but I suppose we will never know.

My great aunt died of Covid aged 80 and a family friend died from Covid as well.

I’m another who was very sick early last year. It started with my son who was sick for two weeks. Then I got it and my daughter started feeling ill three days after I did. We were sick in bed for over three weeks with Covid symptoms and were diagnosed with community acquired pneumonia.

No one ever tested us because they were only testing people who had been overseas Or who had been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid. After five visits to the GP (who wouldn’t come near me or touch me, I had to take my own obs) she told me that she’s positive we had Covid but couldn’t test us. Even taking my son to ED didn’t get him tested.

The three of us have never been so sick in all of our lives and it took months to recover from whatever it was we had.

My GP said there was an awful lot of influenza A going around in Jan 2020. Of course they couldn't test people randomly for Covid but they could test for Flu A, and it was usually that.

I know there are more quotes, but along the same theme I’m fairly certain we all had it. I was at a work conference in the USA in a place that then became a hotspot. I got what I thought was an awful flu - high temp, loss of taste, horrendous cough that lasted about six weeks. I was swabbed for influenza and it came back negative. DH got a very mild case, almost like a cold. DS and DD were horribly sick. 40 degree temps for 10 days, hacking coughs etc. DS spent a night in hospital. Influenza swabs also came back negative but at the time they weren’t swabbing for COVID unless you had been to China. Luckily we don’t seem to have ongoing effects. I know of friends overseas who have had it, and the symptoms range from mild cold to serious long COVID. In terms of why we didn’t spread it - there was a lot more around in the first wave that was ever picked up. The research does show children don’t spread it easily, and excellent hand hygiene is part of my work and home life

Princess Peach

My great aunt died of Covid aged 80 and a family friend died from Covid as well.

I’m another who was very sick early last year. It started with my son who was sick for two weeks. Then I got it and my daughter started feeling ill three days after I did. We were sick in bed for over three weeks with Covid symptoms and were diagnosed with community acquired pneumonia.

No one ever tested us because they were only testing people who had been overseas Or who had been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid. After five visits to the GP (who wouldn’t come near me or touch me, I had to take my own obs) she told me that she’s positive we had Covid but couldn’t test us. Even taking my son to ED didn’t get him tested.

The three of us have never been so sick in all of our lives and it took months to recover from whatever it was we had.

There was also parainfluenza going around at the same time as the initial COVID outbreak (as well as influenza A) - a mum at school had it, they were tested because her husband worked in a hospital which was treating COVID patients. They wouldn’t have qualified for testing otherwise.

Another mum at school has had a large number of her family in India come down with COVID. Luckily all have pulled through with a mild dose, but that is as close as I get.

Lizzard breath

Not me personally.

A friend of ours caught it as part of the Qantas baggage handler cluster in Adelaide last March/April. He was a Qantas employee. Neither his wife or 3 children caught it and he self isolated at home with them. He was very unwell with breathing difficulties, ended up in hospital at one point, but is fine now.

A girl we play sport with, her grandfather is one of the 4 people to have died from COVID in SA. He caught it on the Ruby Princess.

DH’s cousin in the UK, a health worker, had COVID late last year. She appears to have recovered ok and only had mild symptoms.

Advertisement