• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chicken Pie

• Silverstreak

• Seayork2002

• Rosie28

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleach for the socks, like Napisan.

I don't think it's possible to get old grease stains out, but you could check with a dry cleaner?

Depends on what the stain is. Grease / fats need hot water and rub in liquid detergent directly on the stain.

For the ground-in dirt in white socks, scrub with solid soap then wash.

You might try dishwashing detergent. Mix it with white vinegar half and half or by itself.

White socks - I soak in napisan, give a scrub with sard soap and hang in the sun.

Seayork2002

Napisan and biozet works on DS shirts

As long as the top bit of socks remain white I just ignore the rest of it but if I needed to I would do the above for them also

Silverstreak

I've found Napisan pretty good for whitening stuff.

Otherwise, I swear by Sard wonder spray, it's one of my best buddies. Tried Vanish pink once and found it useless.

For stubborn stains I soak in napisan - for like a week! And then wash and do it again if needed and see if the stain with scrub out too.

Dishwashing detergent rubbed into grease and oil stains, and leave it to sit for a little bit, then into the wash.

A soak in pink Napisan for socks, then into the wash. Bonus is that the Napisan kills off bacteria in the socks so the sock wearer will be less likely to have stinky feet.

Old stains: soak in Napisan, scrub with something like Sard soap, and don't laugh but try using a non-scratch scrubber to help shift the stain. Obviously do a test patch first to see if the fabric can handle it. I use Dobie scrubbers (no longer available in Aus. shops but there's ebay and Amazon) and they work really well on school paint stains on DD's school uniforms. There's some knock off generic versions in the shops but I haven't tried them so don't know if they'd work as well. https://www.scotch-brite.com/3M/en_US/scotch-brite/tools/~/Scotch-Brite-Dobie-All-Purpose-Cleaning-Pad/?N=4337+3294529207+3294631809&rt=rud You could also try using a soft nail brush to help scrub at the stains. Patch test first.

Spidey_Senses

I find it depends on the fabric. Cotton, denim etc seems to be easier to get stains out, but the cheaper polyester clothes (big w etc)

LemonMyrtle

Long hot wash in my front loader gets most stains out. Front loaders are great for that.

Sometimes takes two washes. Socks especially come up super clean, probably cause they’re cotton.

A few kids tops have had grease statins that refused to budge, despite soaking, washing, spraying, etc, due to the type of fabric I think. Eventually I give up and bin them.

Chicken Pie

Sorry yea grease as in cooking oil

Dirt as in school dress with dirty patch where she sat not coming out

Thanks everyone

Advertisement