IGNORED

Bruising - when is it a concern?

The Little Engine

I bruise easily, but then am always walking into things (they jump out at me really they do!!).

I also have chronic kidney disease, and getting symptoms now (loosing balance, sore muscles, hard to walk, iron low) so it means more bruises...

But l would get it checked out by your GP. All the best

"Toes are implements for finding furniture in the dark."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Little Engine

• Bornagirl

• STBG 2

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always got some sort of bruise coming up because I am uncoordinated and my spatial awareness sucks. If I can run into a table at hip height I will. Or get caught on the door, or bang my my leg or foot or whatever.

However it never looks like that unless I’ve done serious damage. Like the metal bookend that got dropped on my foot. I’d definitely be getting the GP to look into that. Especially as the triggering incident sounds pretty minor.

I had a bruise the ended up the same as the second photo. I got it from a massive fall off a boat deck to the cabin below. On the way my leg hit a table. I bruise easily but never that badly unless it is a decent whack.

Hope you get some answers on the cause.

…...does everyone not bruise from scratching mossie bites?

No I don't and I have a bleeding disorder!

Today DD and I caught a train (ok 3) to go to a major hospital to have my blood test ahead of my 6 monthly appointment on Monday - my tests can only be done in a hospital and our local one refused me yesterday as I didn't have the right forms gggrrr.

We are semi rural and there was an issue with freight trains on the lines and our train was delayed by 20 mins, the station workers asked us to move platforms to the other side. No problem, as there were only a few of us they asked if we wanted to go up the lift. I said no way why go in a lift when you can go up the stairs....

Well I managed to trip up the stairs and fall in a big way :( soooo embarrassing. Totally fussed on - didn't help that DD screamed. lol there was a older guy there that said he was a first aider and wanted to make sure I was okay and asked me questions like how was my neck.... lol

Went to take my medication for falls but realised that I was going for bloods so I couldn't take them.... Now I'm wondering if my bloods will be off because of the fall. The fall was painful but I didn't bruise badly at all which is strange for me.

I got a HUGE bruise like that last year for such a trivial little injury (literally scraped my leg on the corner of the bed frame). It was disgusting and lasted for weeks and weeks, but went away. It was just one of those random things. If it happened more than once i would be inclined to investigate but i put that instance down to me being a clumsy fucker and maybe just hitting at a weak point to cause the bruise.

No. I've also found that if I can resist scratching it in the first instance, then it's less itchy ongoing.

Easier said than done of course, but an ice cube is handy if there's one nearby.

Yeah ha! I can sometimes resist the itch when it first starts, but then pretty much 24 hours later it comes back twice as bad. I get a day off. Its crazy. I wish I could resist. But I just can't. I think I may be slightly allergic to mozzies.

Fruitmincepies

No. I've also found that if I can resist scratching it in the first instance, then it's less itchy ongoing.

Easier said than done of course, but an ice cube is handy if there's one nearby.

Yeah ha! I can sometimes resist the itch when it first starts, but then pretty much 24 hours later it comes back twice as bad. I get a day off. Its crazy. I wish I could resist. But I just can't. I think I may be slightly allergic to mozzies.

DS scratches so badly they get infected. GP advised using a bit of hydrocortisone cream (since we have some for DD’s eczema anyway) and it works wonders.

That’s a bummer. If I can resist that first insane itch for ten minutes the itch goes away so it’s well worth it for me.

I used to have a much bigger problem with mozzies then needed to start taking high levels of blood pressure medication and they did’t like the taste of me as much. Not a route I would recommend!

Stuffed Olive

Try a drop of lavender essential oil on the bite asap. I carry lavender oil everywhere!

I have found it takes away the itch and then if left unscratched, the bite will disappear.

Stuffed Olive

Try a drop of lavender essential oil on the bite asap. I carry lavender oil everywhere!

I have found it takes away the itch and then if left unscratched, the bite will disappear.

It has also worked for minor burns.

ETA don't know how double post happened!

Has anyone tried wound healing manuka honey on insect bites?

I'm not sure if my Mum has fallen down the woo hole or this is legit wound healing stuff?

I'm not sure if my Mum has fallen down the woo hole or this is legit wound healing stuff?

I've heard honey is antibacterial before, so did a quick google and here's an article:

"Microbial resistance to honey has never been reported, which makes it a very promising topical antimicrobial agent against the infection of antibiotic-resistant bacteria (e.g., MDR S. maltophilia) and in the treatment of chronic wound infections that do not respond to antibiotic therapy. Hence honey has been used as a last-resort medication. Manuka honey has been widely researched and its antibacterial potential is renowned worldwide."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Raw honey has been used for 100s of years for wound healing.

While it might be "woo", a lot of homesteaders and survivalists always have raw honey available for both this reason and also because it tastes better.

As for the bruising reason, I would have been at a doctor the next day.

My daughter had increasing bruising which could have beennattributed to clutsiness as she is very tall for her age, or something more sinister.

Doc immediately ordered blood tests.

He understood why we were concerned.

In children, some bruising can be attributed to certain forms of cancer.

Princess Peach

Not on insect bites, but my mum has used it before on her eczema which ended up with a staf infection with good results.

The Little Engine

So just over a week on the bruise has finally stopped aching and has started to improve. I made the 5 hour trip but had to stop several times to stretch when the leg was aching too much. I was lucky it was my left leg and I have an automatic..

I bruise easily like that, all my life. In fact school teachers asked if my parents beat me (no).

I went to the GP to talk about some numbness on my skin and he saw a bruise, I said it's normal lol he said no it's not.

He ran tests and I have found out that I have Von Willebrands Type 1 (took a few months to diagnose type as I was almost like type 2 with results, she said they were a bit over the place) - a blood clotting issue. I now have to see a haematologist every 6 months with blood work. I can not have any medical procedure without consulting with her.

It's weird to get to my age and find out I have had this my whole life but once I did the pennies dropped.

Was it your story on old EB when leg vein removal didn’t work due to a bleeding disorder?

It made me want to ask my doc again about testing me for bleeding disorders.

I actually was tested for “clotting problems” years back after losing almost 2 litres of blood within minutes when babies head started to push on to my cervix and then a lot of blood in the hour and a half after giving birth; then when dentist scratched my gum and bleeding just wouldn’t stop for an hour+ and whole room ended up looking like a crime scene, then I cut my finger slightly ( just the tip) and after many many kitchen towels soaked in blood and 7 hours later it slowed down. “Clotting test” came back normal back then and I survived another childbirth ( when I realised it was time to push I was given a couple of shots at the same time as two midwives rushed to get blood bags delivered just in case but I only lost 150 mls of blood).

Sorry to hijack OP. Your bruise is impressive. I get bruised easily but I don’t get them as big. My mum does though but it only started to happen after she turned 60 or after she put on weight( which happened around the same time). Interestingly such massive scary bruises only appear without her noticing in “soft” parts of her body like legs, tummy, hips. Slim parts still bruise as before.

Yep that was me....

Off to my haematologist tomorrow for my 6th month appointment

How did you go getting tests?

Sancti-claws

So just over a week on the bruise has finally stopped aching and has started to improve. I made the 5 hour trip but had to stop several times to stretch when the leg was aching too much. I was lucky it was my left leg and I have an automatic..

You are meant to stop at least every 2 hours anyway for fatigue management but glad that the bruising isn't aching so much.

Please go and seek some medical guidance and show the photos? It could be something as innocent as iron and change your life so much for the better so easily - and if it is something more sinister, is it not better to have the knowledge?

Advertisement