IGNORED

overtime or TIL?

HypnicJerk

At my workplace when we work a public holiday we can now elect to be paid overtime at double-time-and-a-half or be paid time-and-a-half plus one extra day off that gets added onto our payslip.

I'm on the fence about which to elect. Got any arguments either way?

Work is not busy. I'm about to take leave but I'll still have a few days left over.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HypnicJerk

• Hills Mum Bec

• Chicken Pie

• MB530

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take the extra money, personally. I find my annual leave is plenty, and would feel an extra day would likely be wasted - taken just for the sake of it.

If you’ve got a fair bit of annual leave up your sleeve take the money, otherwise TIL. Would also depend on how easy it is to take TIL. It’s great that you’re being offered the option, it would be a handy way to store up a bit of annual leave.

Take the leave

Do something fun

Go somewhere new

Catch up with a friend or family member you haven’t seen for a while

Or just have a day to relax and do absolutely nothing

Life is short, time is worth more than money to me.

How easy is it to take the day off? I’ve given up on putting in for TIL as it never gets used (and I have decent leave). That is unless something is coming up that I’d use leave for. Like appointments or other things. It’s not easy for me to take time off due to staffing though. So I’d just go for the extra money and buy myself something nice.

Living Type

Til for me. We receive some carers allowance which is means tested and we are close to the limit. Do something to consider if applicable.

Hmmm, my contract will probably end at the end of the year (was supposed to be mid-year but apparently being extended). Getting leave isn't a problem, we are quiet at the moment and are being encouraged to take it.

Julie3Girls

What happens to your til is you don’t take it?

My daughter accrues time in lieu, it given how short staffed they are (childcare centre) it’s really hard to take it. But I believe if you haven’t used it within 3 months, it is paid out anyway.

yeah nice to have the choice.

I'd go TIL, because I actually buy 2 extra weeks leave a year to take me up to 6 weeks. It means I can take a week off every school holidays as well as 3 weeks over Christmas when childcare is shut down.

Baroness Bubbles

My current job where we close for only 4 leave days over Christmas(plus 4 public holiday)? The pay

My old job where we closed for 3 weeks over Christmas? The TIL

IamtheMumma

I'd take the money. I no longer put in got TIL because I had so many hours clocked up but it magically disappeared one day and I lost almost a hundred hours. It wasn't an official record apparently.

Advertisement