IGNORED

Babysitter - how do I find one and know they will be good?

Elfie34

Do you have a cleaner? We ended up using our cleaner to babysit and she became our kids nanny. Still with us 15 years later! Even though DD is old enough to babysit her younger brother they love our babysitter so she still comes to mind them. Sometimes they go to her place for a sleepover!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elfie34

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Mrs Twit

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

How far east are you OP? If you get stuck and I'm free I'll happily do it! I love kids, have a WWCC, etc. I can even supply a reference from other EBers whose kids I've babysat over the years :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Relatedly- what’s the going rate these days? I’m lucky enough to know a few awesome steady teens but not sure what to offer, and they’ll probably just politely accept whatever... don’t want to embarrass them by under or over offering. I was thinking about $20 an hour?

findababysitter is closing down in April and wont take new subscriptions!

i feel like in Australia we dont use babysitters as extensively as they do in America. But maybe thats because ive never done it!!!

Interesting. I think they were also owned by 9/Fairfax, weren't they?

Relatedly- what’s the going rate these days? I’m lucky enough to know a few awesome steady teens but not sure what to offer, and they’ll probably just politely accept whatever... don’t want to embarrass them by under or over offering. I was thinking about $20 an hour?

2 different teens (16/17)yo) in our street both charge $15 an hour,, our daycare staff charge $25.

Definitely consider looking around for a local teenage neighbour with younger siblings who is used to being home alone and responsible for their younger siblings. My 16 year old (oldest of 4) is always happy to babysit locally at $15 an hour and I’m generally nearby and home as a back up in case of any extreme emergencies. Not that anything has ever happened though.

Advertisement