IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

My husband and I are 1b, were booked into the only place doing vaccinations which just happened to be our regular GP! And they cancelled on Friday night. So we will probably have to look at getting our fluvax after we see GP this Friday because it certainly doesn’t sound like there is any Pfizer for under 50s currently.

Oh well, just another appointment to add to the list as needed but pending!

I’m not surprised because the Fed Govt was in charge of this and they are one clusterfuck after another - starting in 2013 with the Toby Abbott/Peta Credlin shitshow and deteriorating drastically to this hollowed out, no substance, failed (upwards) Marketing man

I would be comfortable in taking the AZ vaccine based on the low risk factors but that said I do understand that 1/200,000 people may die in taking it.

"Regulators are continuously combing through the details of the rare clots that have occurred to work out how many might be caused by vaccination.

Based on the figures announced on Wednesday by the UK medicines regulator, if 10 million imaginary people were given the AZ vaccine you might expect to see 40 of these clots - with about 10 clots having fatal consequences. "

( This was a BBC article I read.)

There are definitely not 1/200,000 people dying from taking the vaccine.

So about 25 deaths if the entire population of 25 million people was vaccinated by AZ.

You can see how the fact that Covid has been eliminated has been factored into the decision to wait for more supplies of Pfizer for young people and why this would be reversed should a major outbreak occur such that more than 25 people die as with Victoria in the second wave. I suppose the fact that there are now treatments available for the hospitalised is also factored in.

The current AZ will eventually be replaced for everyone I imagine and for the over 50s this round of the AZ is likely to be a one off. So the booster might be some other tweaked second generation vaccine, maybe not even the Pfizer vaccine because that needs to be tweaked for the South African variant.

Has someone said that or are you guessing? I really want to get my second one.

The only silver lining is that if half the country are still unvaccinated next year then Scummo and the libs don't have a fucking chance at the election.

The AZ vaccine is still being given. My clinic has not stopped giving as soon as it gets supplies so if you are 1B then you are free to get your vaccine, even if you are under 50.

It is not recommended ( at the moment ) for under 50's but you can still have it after discussion with your doctor.

My mid 30's DD had her 1st dose of AZ as a 1A and will still have her second as planned.

I really feel the dialogue needs to change, the media are killing us with their dramatic headings.

The AZ vaccine is a good and safe vaccine, much safer than many other drugs that people take daily without thought, safer than nicotine. The severe side effects rate is 0.000004%.

I keep up to date with the daily science on the vaccine. We can choose to not take the risk or we can follow their advice right now. I choose the latter until or if it changes.

STBG friends of mine under 50 have been turned away from their first AZ - glad to hear it's not the case everywhere. Although it's shit that their doctors decided not to vaccinate them.

The current AZ will eventually be replaced for everyone I imagine and for the over 50s this round of the AZ is likely to be a one off. So the booster might be some other tweaked second generation vaccine, maybe not even the Pfizer vaccine because that needs to be tweaked for the South African variant.

Has someone said that or are you guessing? I really want to get my second one.

Here is a source which gave rise to my thoughts that eventually the AZ will be obsolete because of the mutations and will need a replacement. Same with the Pfizer. I still think the AZ aside from the very small clotting issue is a good vaccine for now which can prevent severe disease in the variants. It just may not stop transmission of the new variants.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/current-covid-vaccines-could-be-ineffective-by-nex

Thank you for that info @STBG +2. The explanations in the media are conflicting and ambiguous, as if the writers themselves are confused and are trying not to betray that fact lol.

I am only going on the email that my GP practice sent out which arrived just 15 minutes before I wrote that post yet someone just told me it is all suspended. I have not fact checked yet.

This level of confusion really needs to stop because people rightfully do not know whether they are coming or going.

LemonMyrtle

India, is vaccinating 3-4 million people a day. 3-4 million! That’s phenomenal. We can’t even do a few thousand.

India is also in the grips of a horrendous second wave, so they need as many people vaccinated as possible.

A 40yo female has been hospitalised due to clotting after AZ vaccine.

Also, Australia has said they won't get J&J vax due to using similar ingredients, adenovirus vector.

Just came from my GP. Seventy doses there that were earmarked for under 50's have been given to over 50's. She showed me the document from DHHS which said they expect the suspension will be for 2 weeks after which under 50's will be able to get it again if they so choose.

It feels like a re run of last year when we discovered we were internationally bereft of cotton buds. They spent months discouraging people from getting tested. Then it took a huge turnaround in public behaviour to encourage people to get tested during outbreaks.

[mention]Iamferalz[/mention] You have just confirmed my worst fear. We're overplaying the risks because we have no vaccines to give anyone and very little virus here so far but somehwere like PNG gets a lot of news from here so it completely undermines what they need to do - and australia desperately needs them to do

A 40yo female has been hospitalised due to clotting after AZ vaccine.

Also, Australia has said they won't get J&J vax due to using similar ingredients, adenovirus vector.

It is a relief that the female recipient is in a stable condition. I read that so far, in Australia and including this case they are experiencing the AZ clotting episodes at 1 in every 350,000 doses, which is lower than the overseas incidents of 1 in every 250,000.

Interesting about the J&J - makes sense.

Just came from my GP. Seventy doses there that were earmarked for under 50's have been given to over 50's. She showed me the document from DHHS which said they expect the suspension will be for 2 weeks after which under 50's will be able to get it again if they so choose.

I read in the news that they are using the suspension time in Victoria to train staff on how to support younger recipients who wish to get the AZ i.n coming to an informed decision and consent.

India, is vaccinating 3-4 million people a day. 3-4 million! That’s phenomenal. We can’t even do a few thousand.

India is also in the grips of a horrendous second wave, so they need as many people vaccinated as possible.

Yes, they are worried it will be as bad as Brazil due to a double mutation in the virus. Apparently most of our quarantine cases are now from flights from India. The UK and US cases have decreased.

purplekitty

Let's face it, the LNP government has failed in a catastrophic way in securing vaccines.

We were also something like 93rd. in the world for vaccinating last time I looked.

If we had not contained COVID,and we would not have if herd immunity had been the plan as wanted by the Feds, we would be in desperate straits.

With new variants taking over the cases O/S we still do not know how things will progress.

I hope we will look seriously at how offshore manufacturing endangers Australia's security and return to our own pharmaceutical manufacturing base.

LemonMyrtle

Let's face it, the LNP government has failed in a catastrophic way in securing vaccines.

We were also something like 93rd. in the world for vaccinating last time I looked.

If we had not contained COVID,and we would not have if herd immunity had been the plan as wanted by the Feds, we would be in desperate straits.

With new variants taking over the cases O/S we still do not know how things will progress.

I hope we will look seriously at how offshore manufacturing endangers Australia's security and return to our own pharmaceutical manufacturing base.

Yes, thank god for the lockdowns and keeping covid out.

Although, I bet if we were in a huge wave of cases they would be handing out the AZ vaccine like candy, because it would be the only option.

At least the US has alternatives.

The National Cabinet is to have an emergency meeting on Monday about the problematic vaccine roll out. Apparently the Novovax order will be further delayed due to supply problems at the manufacturing end.

Greg Hunt says the international border may stay closed even if everyone is vaccinated but it’s hard to know if they are politically deflecting from their vaccine roll out problem ahead of the next election or a genuine response to the increase of Covid cases worldwide. Either way, it’s not safe to leave a huge number of Australians unvaccinated for a long period of time in these worldwide conditions.

I actually feel really uneasy about the increasing complacency and people in NSW are now going about lives as in pre-Covid times. Lots of people going around with cold symptoms and not getting tested because “it’s not Covid”..

At least the US has alternatives.

The National Cabinet is to have an emergency meeting on Monday about the problematic vaccine roll out. Apparently the Novovax order will be further delayed due to supply problems at the manufacturing end.

Greg Hunt says the international border may stay closed even if everyone is vaccinated but it’s hard to know if they are politically deflecting from their vaccine roll out problem ahead of the next election or a genuine response to the increase of Covid cases worldwide. Either way, it’s not safe to leave a huge number of Australians unvaccinated for a long period of time in these worldwide conditions.

I actually feel really uneasy about the increasing complacency and people in NSW are now going about lives as in pre-Covid times. Lots of people going around with cold symptoms and not getting tested because “it’s not Covid”..

I hold our media responsible for this complacency. The vaccine roll out is of course a Fed Mess as per usual but the hesitancy has come completely as a result of the way the vaccine is being portrayed where headlines say CLOTS but the small print tells us of the actual ridiculously low risk.

I am the only one amongst my same age peers at the moment who has had their first vaccine yet months ago it was all about " I'll be lining up with my sleeve up".

These are people who'd most likely get clots if they got COVID, they are also people desperately wanting to travel,

I find myself with a continual low level headache, it's nothing to do with my vaccine but my desire to blow up MSM.

Kiwi Bicycle

As a Victorian I visited Sydney last week, and had to admit everyone feels so relaxed up there.. scarily so.

The interesting topic raised by the AZ clotting issue is how often we willingly expose ourselves to an increased risk of clotting events. The contraceptive pill is the big one. The other is air travel with studies putting the risk of DVT as between 2 and 10%!!

I'll happily take the 1 in 2oo,ooo risk of a clotting event after the AZ vaccine if it allows me to take the much higher risk of hopping on an aeroplane and risking a DVT to reunite my family.

So then of course my next thought process is - where's the conspiracy? Is the risk really as low as reported - it seems an overblown response to a small risk, so what aren't we being told.

Advertisement