IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

Anyone heard how the male with the clots is doing?

Yep; I've heard he's stable. Which isn't as good as being better, but it's better than being worse. The treatment is a long, long course of blood thinners, and possibly surgery to resect his bowel if the abdominal clots cause a problem there.

The interesting topic raised by the AZ clotting issue is how often we willingly expose ourselves to an increased risk of clotting events. The contraceptive pill is the big one. The other is air travel with studies putting the risk of DVT as between 2 and 10%!!

I'll happily take the 1 in 2oo,ooo risk of a clotting event after the AZ vaccine if it allows me to take the much higher risk of hopping on an aeroplane and risking a DVT to reunite my family.

So then of course my next thought process is - where's the conspiracy? Is the risk really as low as reported - it seems an overblown response to a small risk, so what aren't we being told.

Like I said upthread. I am no doctor, but there's a difference between a DVT in your leg and a clot in the brain.

VeritasVinumArte

Happy to report my Mum’s Dr directed mum to another facility to have her vaccinations so she has had her first AZ shot. Her Dr (although one able to give the covid vaccine) said that any vaccination spots that come up are immediately taken by the elderly (mum is mid 70s) and recommended another location for her shot.... she booked Monday and had her shot Tuesday.

Like I said upthread. I am no doctor, but there's a difference between a DVT in your leg and a clot in the brain.

My understanding is that a leg clot can become fatal if part of the clot breaks off and travels through the veins to the heart or lungs. There are quite a few stories of people who completed long haul flights to and from Australia and then collapsing after the flight. It is a specifically higher travel risk for Australians given the distance of travel.

My understanding is that a leg clot can become fatal if part of the clot breaks off and travels through the veins to the heart or lungs. There are quite a few stories of people who completed long haul flights to and from Australia and then collapsing after the flight. It is a specifically higher travel risk for Australians given the distance of travel.

Yes that's true (I had a blood clot). Probably higher risk with brain clots through.

The interesting topic raised by the AZ clotting issue is how often we willingly expose ourselves to an increased risk of clotting events. The contraceptive pill is the big one. The other is air travel with studies putting the risk of DVT as between 2 and 10%!!

I'll happily take the 1 in 2oo,ooo risk of a clotting event after the AZ vaccine if it allows me to take the much higher risk of hopping on an aeroplane and risking a DVT to reunite my family.

So then of course my next thought process is - where's the conspiracy? Is the risk really as low as reported - it seems an overblown response to a small risk, so what aren't we being told.

My point is more that this is a risk we take routinely with little consideration of the potential consequences.

DVT should not be underplayed. Untreated or delayed treatment there is a 1 in 10 chance of developing a pulmonary embolus which has a 30% death rate.

The clotting that comes with AZ is a completely different kettle of fish but I believe the comparisons are being made because risk factors for DVT can be significantly reduced with lifestyle changes which aren't always thought to be worth making.

Thrombosis with thrombocytopaenia is potentially fatal, we should not underplay that either, it is terrible and nobody wants to get it but it still remains a rare occurrence and this is what people need to hear before they make a decision to not be vaccinated.

EFS

I just had my second dose of Pfizer in WA and I feel rough as guts! I was expecting it though but I feel like I’m recovering from the flu, headache body aches and light headed. It wouldn’t change my mind about having it but it’s unpleasant 😕

humblebumble

At this point it's a no for me. multiple factors are taken into consideration & it's not a rash decision or antivax stance! I cannot have any other vaccinations - medically! I am also at very high risk of clots/strokes, I could never take the pill, when I fly I do all I can to minimise the risk! I am always that 1 in whatever hundred thousand in every operation I've had & have multiple rare syndromes that are closely associated with clots/dvt's/embolisms etc.

I am very grateful to be living in a country where Covid is not an immediate risk & can sit back, watch & wait & hopefully by the time I have no option we'll have better knowledge available to us & I'll feel safer than the roll of dice it feels like atm. The other adult members of my family will all be having theirs when available to them.

PocketMacrophobia

I'm feeling a bit despondent about it all at this stage.

I'd love to be able to have one but I'm bottom of the list and the roll out is so slow.

And overseas relatives are giving us crap about human rights abuses because it's stopping them visiting us and we're being selfish just thinking about ourselves because we're ok. And I'm sat here thinking "eff you. Your gov basically let people die, and by the way yes our feds are shit but the work the state governments have done have saved lives and and anyway should these vaccine doses we'll need be better here so you can visit, or somewhere where actual people, as in other people's loved ones are dying?"

Sorry, that should possibly go under venting 😂

humblebumble

@humblebumble do you take blood thinner before flying? My Dr prescribes Clexane for me.

I cant take anything that thins my blood either! life is really tricky :( My daughter is the same & it's so much scarier when it's your child, not treating can be life threatening but so can treating. :o :roll: :thumbdown:

humblebumble

I'd love to be able to have one but I'm bottom of the list and the roll out is so slow.

And overseas relatives are giving us crap about human rights abuses because it's stopping them visiting us and we're being selfish just thinking about ourselves because we're ok. And I'm sat here thinking "eff you. Your gov basically let people die, and by the way yes our feds are shit but the work the state governments have done have saved lives and and anyway should these vaccine doses we'll need be better here so you can visit, or somewhere where actual people, as in other people's loved ones are dying?"

Thats horrible :( I know I'd rather be selfish than dead!

Kiwi Bicycle

My answer to the relatives is " I don't have a personal phone line to our PM so there's little I can do. It's not election time".

I was notified that I was eligible but because of my age I shouldn't have the AZ one. But there aren't any Pfizer clinics available and to try again later.

I was all set to get it done!

I'm getting my second Pfizer this week. I am excited and happy and also hoping I get no more than a sore arm again as a symptom.

PocketMacrophobia

Thats horrible :( I know I'd rather be selfish than dead!

The Murdoch media influence is strong for them.

They're really struggling with everything where they are, I think they've loaded as much blame on their gov as they can and now need to direct the overflow.

It just gets hard to support them while listening to it.

PocketMacrophobia

My answer to the relatives is " I don't have a personal phone line to our PM so there's little I can do. It's not election time".

Yep, we just agree that the feds are shit and try to point out the offers from the states to set up more quarantine facilities. I'm not sure they're listening though 🙄

Give Smirko a call Justin and tell him how to govern.

Canada is a COVID disaster and into it's third wave. ICU are full to the brim and their health system is failing,

I am no Morrison fan but Justin is obviously not doing everything right either,

purplekitty

Some of that is down to the Provinces.

Doug Ford in Ontario comes under a lot of criticism from HCWs.

ICU beds are predicted to run out in the near future.

I'm sure Trudeau is not perfect but the millions of Pfizer vaccines he is having delivered in the next few months, starting in May, is way more than we have any hope of seeing before next year.

And that deal was made in the last month.

We only have intentions of getting them, not even a sealed deal from what I can gather.

I'm sure Trudeau is not perfect but the millions of Pfizer vaccines he is having delivered in the next few months, starting in May, is way more than we have any hope of seeing before next year.

We only have intentions of getting them, not even a sealed deal from what I can gather.

But why should we, a country with no community transmission, get vaccines ahead of countries in desperate need of them, where hundreds or thousands of people are dying every day?

Same as different states here are handling their own responsibilities differently but it is Morrison in charge and who should hold ultimate responsibility.

I do not think that Australia is on the same playing field when it comes to the shipment of vaccines and whilst I hate saying so I do not think that even of we had a completely different federal government would we have has actual access to them any sooner.

Our location and our perceived and obvious success with COVID is going to see vaccines go elsewhere first.

Advertisement