IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

PocketMacrophobia

I tend to agree. I don't think we would be much further along in the vaccination program. I do think there would have been better communication about timelines. And possibly better management around getting the front line workers and aged care residents and workers covered first.

A different government wouldn't change what's happening with the AZ, but we may have had agreements with more companies.

I also wonder if the Queensland vaccine would have continued development.

I have been wondering what would have happened if each state had been able to order and distribute their own but then when it is a national responsibility to pay for them all it would not have worked.

purplekitty

But why should we, a country with no community transmission, get vaccines ahead of countries in desperate need of them, where hundreds or thousands of people are dying every day?

That's where we are now.

A fait accompli.

We've had a year to get our plans and vaccine orders in place, we started out in a similar situation to many other countries at the beginning of 2020.

The Feds. didn't want to outlay the money for multiple vaccines to mitigate risk of what made it to market, just like they had only a virtual stock of PPE rather than actual stock.

It's no surprise that outsourcing pharmaceutical manufacturing overseas and underfunding research results in us being dependent on other countries in a number of areas.

There has been failure after failure, it just surprises me that they evade any responsibility.

So the AZ vaccine is back on the table with hubs set up in Victoria.

I'm guessing the risks are still.the same, so anyone taking is now accepting the new risk?

Is that the theory?

Kiwi Bicycle

Hey guys, Australia and NZ are in pretty much the same place vaccine wise, with NZ even more exposed by having no manufacturing ability. NZ played vaccine roulette ( with only AZ and Pfizer options) ànd somehow won by getting enough Pfizer. Roll out has been piecemeal, being run by the dufferent areas DHBs and extra doses been " raffled off" by FB by staff when it seems they were going to be wasted, when they actually were supposed to be offered to GP staff.

And don't even ask about the Cook Islands. They only have a tiny population and even they are shoving to be the front of the queue for NZs doses so they can open up.

Everyone is stuffing up left, right and centre.

So the AZ vaccine is back on the table with hubs set up in Victoria.

I'm guessing the risks are still.the same, so anyone taking is now accepting the new risk?

Is that the theory?

I think there is a consent form for under 50s if they're happy to take the risk.

I'm getting my first Pfizer jab tomorrow, only found out today that I was eligible through work.

As an early 50s person (well perhaps mid) how can i be sure the AZ is OK when most other countries are saying over 60?

As an early 50s person (well perhaps mid) how can i be sure the AZ is OK when most other countries are saying over 60?

Because the actual risk of clotting is still 0.000004.

I am risk averse but I am also pro vaccination and I understand with any medication and vaccine I put into my body there is risk. I took the pill from age 16 and for the next 20 years and I was overweight and had borderline BP issues yet I took it knowingly because unwanted pregnancy was my dread. Death by COVID and watching my country and people implode makes vaccination an absolute no brainer for me if I do not want to live the rest of my life locked in my home without seeing my loved ones.

Vaccination is the only way out of this.

But why should we, a country with no community transmission, get vaccines ahead of countries in desperate need of them, where hundreds or thousands of people are dying every day?

That's where we are now.

A fait accompli.

We've had a year to get our plans and vaccine orders in place, we started out in a similar situation to many other countries at the beginning of 2020.

The Feds. didn't want to outlay the money for multiple vaccines to mitigate risk of what made it to market, just like they had only a virtual stock of PPE rather than actual stock.

It's no surprise that outsourcing pharmaceutical manufacturing overseas and underfunding research results in us being dependent on other countries in a number of areas.

There has been failure after failure, it just surprises me that they evade any responsibility.

I agree with both of you. Australia SHOULD have been in a position whereby we could both provide for ourselves AND be the provider for nearby countries with poorer health systems.

I’m actually surprised to see the number of countries producing the various vaccines.

@purplekitty, my awesome Canadian cousin (in law, but I love him so much, I don't use the "in law" bit) posted this about Ontario's measures.

You are so right that this is also a provincial problem - I'm pissed at Trudeau, but far out, Doug Ford acts like he's stumbled into parliament while looking for the bathroom.

I just remembered, the above-mentioned awesome cousin had his vaccine back in December, I think. He works in aged care, and was pretty stressed because his husband is immunocompromised. But he seems a lot more settled now that he's had the shot.

I feel much the same way about Canada as I do Sweden. They don’t have the ‘my rights’ issues to the same extent as the USA, and could easily have prevented much of the cross border transmission.

I must admit until Covid I never thought it would be possible to close our state borders to each other (not the desire to, the administration of it) and Canada could have done the same. There was much talk about how easy it was to get to the Canadian Rockies many months ago, just by claiming to be driving to Alaska.

Their early deaths were not dissimilar from Victoria’s: it got into aged care via the low income households who were living in close proximity to each other, in Quebec.

I was just reading an article about a gym owner in Quebec who refused to close down in lockdown and infected nearly 600 people killing a 30 year old.

Despite all the noise that was made about our lockdowns we really have been lucky that even when it was begrudgingly most people complied to our lockdowns, although knowing the penalties may have helped that along, I am so glad of our strictness now.

I also wonder if the Queensland vaccine would have continued development.

I believe they are still working on - ABC interview the other day.

It depends on a lot of things specific to each country, e.g how many alternative vaccines they have on hand, how many Covid cases and the risk tolerance and behavioural profile of each country. Some countries are not as obedient and compliant with lockdowns as Australia for example.

The UK’s threshold is 30 and Canada has just dropped their age threshold from 55 to 40 because Covid is racing out of control there with reports of people aged 20 to 50 filling up the ICUs. They have had a slow vaccine rollout too.

Speak to your GP.

I have heard of a few people being told - yeah nah No AZ for you.

If they know you well/your medical history. They will advise you.

Victoria to start producing mRNA class vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna type) domestically. Yay, thanks Victoria, this is good for the Pacific region.

Hope Federal and other States support this move financially..

Victoria to start producing mRNA class vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna type) domestically. Yay, thanks Victoria, this is good for the Pacific region.

Hope Federal and other States support this move financially..

Oh really?! That is fantastic news! I think it was Swan saying a couple of weeks ago that we could and should pivot to producing mRNA vaccines. This could be a real game changer!

• 2 weeks later...
LemonMyrtle

Over 50s can get the jab now. Still waiting for them to announce the over 30s, lol.

If they take long enough I’ll make it into the over 40s category.

59 year old DH is booked in to get his first shot at 1:30 pm tomorrow.

I'm only 46, with no underlying health conditions, and not a frontline worker, so it might be the end of this year before I can get my first; but I'll be doing so as soon as I can.

Iamferalz

I'm only 46, with no underlying health conditions, and not a frontline worker, so it might be the end of this year before I can get my first; but I'll be doing so as soon as I can.

Are you in Victoria? I have heard its possible to get vaccinated now if you are under 50 with informed consent. Edited to add that is only if you are in a designated group such as a frontline worker.

I am just over 50 in NSW and am seeing the GP ahead of eligibility in a couple of weeks to discuss.

Edited by Iamferalz

Julie3Girls

Are you in Victoria? I have heard its possible to get vaccinated now if you are under 50 with informed consent.

I am just over 50 in NSW and am seeing the GP ahead of eligibility in a couple of weeks to discuss.

Vaccination available to over 50 Australia wide from today.

Advertisement