• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Seayork2002

• Lurker

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Spending a thousand dollars on a 5 year olds birthday party for 15 kids is ridiculous. and unnecessary, bordering on obscene. I didn't think that would be an unpopular opinion but based on the success of these party venues I'd say they must be popular. I've been to several and it's really not my scene. The kids don't even enjoy it that much. Certainly not to the tune of a thousand bucks !

Spending a thousand dollars on a 5 year olds birthday party for 15 kids is ridiculous. and unnecessary, bordering on obscene. I didn't think that would be an unpopular opinion but based on the success of these party venues I'd say they must be popular. I've been to several and it's really not my scene. The kids don't even enjoy it that much. Certainly not to the tune of a thousand bucks !

I’d add spending $500 on a really fancy massively tall cake for a kid is also wasted.

I think Steve Irwin wasn't all that either... I also get really irritated by the whole family, Bindi is too pure and good and insipid...

Considering their lives under intense scrutiny, Bindi and Bob are such great people - like perfect Australians, role models even. Unlike other child stars, they haven't influenced their many followers by doing stupid things or putting on a bad act, they're just genuinely nice. I actually really admire Bindi and Bob. They are both passionate about wildlife conservation and are continuing their father's legacy. Bob's photography is indeed spectacular and he seems so down to earth.

I do agree taking babies near crocodiles for a show is pretty dumb though. That's on the same level as Michael Jackson dangling his son over a balcony.

I like the Irwin family. I understand that Bindi seems way too wholesome but I think it is real. Steve was a bit of a drongo at times but he was always real too, I believe his heart was always in the right place.

Robert seems like an all round good person and Terri is quite inspiring to me.

To the lady complaining on a local Facebook page how hard it is to get firewood this year - good, stop polluting the environment.

The best part of living in a soulless new development was the lack of smoke in winter. Now a few suburbs over in an older area and many people are using ancient, inefficient wood heaters.

[mention]Grumbles[/mention] oh, how I hear you. Our neighbours are hippy types who love their wood burner and will happily put it on in the middle of a sunny and not especially cold afternoon, meaning I have to abandon my backyard and shut the windows because it bloody stinks. And we live n the bottom of a valley too, the people higher up must just love them.

I absolutely love wood fires and wood heaters. The smell of wood smoke is my favourite smell in the world! How can anyone not love it?! I mean obviously I'm talking a wood fire with eucalypt or ti tree on it, nothing that smells bad......but I'd never be bothered by that smell coming from a neighbour, or think that I was bothering someone if I had one.

If that doesn't get be banned for EB then consider this....I still think that Tom Cruise was super hot when he was younger and I can watch him all day in top gun and enjoy it and actually forget that he's a total whack job in real life!

:-)

Are you TRYING to start a war here, @MaryanneK !!!!

Ha ha [mention]Sancti-claws[/mention] I just replied to your venting post saying I hated granny undies too....that will probably seal my fate! So long EB I'll see myself out 😂

Fruitmincepies

I love the smell of the smoke, except not when it was from our old neighbour. They would light their fire at about 4pm, and there would be so much smoke in our backyard, for half an hour or so, that I’d have to get the washing and kids inside. I couldn’t leave windows and doors open on sunny afternoons. It was not really fair that we had to change our behaviour so that they could use an inefficient form of heating for their house (I didn’t say anything as they were a lovely elderly retired farming couple, and I imagine they had always had a fire in winter).

Why are people stopping and starting wood fires? Leave the thing on all the time and adjust the setting then you don’t get the whole smoke your neighbours out thing happening. I have had wood heaters most of my life, so have most of my family and friends and no one stops and starts them in the colder months. You don’t fire it up until it’s time to have it going all the time!

I am a wood fire lover. Love the smell, love the heat, love cutting wood. It’s the only reason I willingly moved back to a cold climate.

Fruitmincepies

[mention]Jolly_F[/mention] probably because we are in perth and it’s regularly 18-20°C outside during the day in winter :lol:

My son has a friend at school. His mother drives around in a white BMW 4WD with black trims. It looks bloody stupid, like a panda 🐼 on wheels.

I kind of feel sorry for her in a weird way but she must have paid a lot of money for it so I guess she is happy. (I don’t normally judge cars).

To the lady complaining on a local Facebook page how hard it is to get firewood this year - good, stop polluting the environment.

The best part of living in a soulless new development was the lack of smoke in winter. Now a few suburbs over in an older area and many people are using ancient, inefficient wood heaters.

We have people on both sides with open fires, we are sort of country but an estate in the country so 800 sqm blocks and the smoke has not been too bothersome as it is not their only source of heat so not every day but I hate it when they are burning wood that is obviously soaked in chemicals that has been sourced from their trade sites........that is disgusting.

Why are people stopping and starting wood fires? Leave the thing on all the time and adjust the setting then you don’t get the whole smoke your neighbours out thing happening. I have had wood heaters most of my life, so have most of my family and friends and no one stops and starts them in the colder months. You don’t fire it up until it’s time to have it going all the time!

I am a wood fire lover. Love the smell, love the heat, love cutting wood. It’s the only reason I willingly moved back to a cold climate.

Me too. I associate them with fond memories of living in cool drizzly high country. Rurally a lot of people have an old school slow combustion stove and are still using them as 3 energy sources. It's heating but also cooking and most times the hot water pipe is diverted along the back of the stove to do hot water as well. I found them to be the absolute bomb for breadmaking, soups and roasting but a bit fussy with cakes, which you need to hover over and turn manually unless you want the leaning tower of vanilla sponge..

You use less wood and make less smoke if you leave it on with a nice hot coal bed in it It's not particularly environmentally friendly though it can be better than what it seems at first blush. If money's tight it's extremely economical if you have deadfall on your property. Cooking, heating and hot water for free.

In the city they don't make much sense. There's a few around these parts who like to get their smokers out of a weekend and get their pulled pork on. Love the smell but not on the towels.

Julie3Girls

I don’t mind the smell. I love sitting in front of a fire in winter. Love the warmth from them.

We live in an area with large blocks (1/2 acres), but honestly, the amount of smoke in the air can become a problem. During mid winter, when my girls go out to the bus stop, if it is still air, there can be a pretty heavy smoke haze, and it does cause issues for my asthmatic daughter. Smoke is a major trigger for her, we joke that she is our smoke detector - slightest amount of smoke outside, and she starts coughing.

But the bigger issue is the people burning off, backyard fires. We have one neighbour who does it regularly and creates huge amounts of smoke. Much heavier smoke than the household fireplaces.

I like the smell of a woodsmoke in a nostalgic way, but it is bad for the environment. Many things we use every day are - cars being the obvious example - but people don't tend to be as defensive about the fact that their cars are emitting pollution. You tell someone their woodstove is and they'll lose their tiny minds.

Kiwi Bicycle

So why are pellet burner fires not being promoted in OZ? They burn much cleaner and use wood waste ( compressed sawdust) which you buy in a bag, and load into a hopper. So less storage, no chopping and better for the environment. In NZ, Christchuch which is on a plain, used to have really bad smog issues from coal and wood fires. The council banned them and will only allow pellet fires to be installed. I Googled and they are being sold here but hardily anyone buys them.

So why are pellet burner fires not being promoted in OZ? They burn much cleaner and use wood waste ( compressed sawdust) which you buy in a bag, and load into a hopper. So less storage, no chopping and better for the environment. In NZ, Christchuch which is on a plain, used to have really bad smog issues from coal and wood fires. The council banned them and will only allow pellet fires to be installed. I Googled and they are being sold here but hardily anyone buys them.

I love the pellet fires. Our house there (sold ages ago) had a wood burner before the bans came in (pre earthquake) and I hated it but it was cold so needed it.

Next house bought had a pellet fire and loved it! Not cold enough in NSW where I'm staying to have one though

My in laws just installed one, they really like it and it definitely warms the place up nicely.

Advertisement