IGNORED

10 weeks to go and no girls name chosen!

BeepBeep

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kerilyntaryn21

• BeepBeep

• Lurker

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your chosen names and neither of them are too close to your baby IMO. Mahalia is another great singer too.

Else - Zafiya, Zadie, Xolanie, Yolanda, Yael (I know one in real life - beautiful), Vivienne, Uma, Quinn.

Oh gosh I didn’t even think about it being two singers! Hahaha. I’m really not going to point that out to my partner. He already thinks my taste is a bit... different!

I'm assuming A lee a

You are correct! We say Ah Lee a.

My in-laws pronounce it slightly differently with a longer ahhhhh first syllable. English is a second and third language.

She answers to both happily.

Thank you everyone for your other suggestions!

I like Amira, and Tallulah and Yael. My partner likes Kailani but I’m not sure...

There’s a few other possible contenders in there too. We need to sit down and actually have a chat and look at meanings I think too.

It’s interesting that some of you think Aaliyah and Mahalia are dissimilar enough to get away with and some don’t... my partner thinks it’s fine and I want it to be fine but suspect I would be constantly tripping over their names.

We say Ah lee a or Ahhhhh Lee a. Depending on which side of the family.

My mother in law assures me I’ll do that anyway yelling for them to come to dinner regardless of their names but... I don’t know!!

To me Yael is a very Jewish name, so I wouldn't use it if you're not. It would be like calling a kid Hymie or Mohammed just because you like the sound of it. Not that that's offensive, exactly, but it would be a little weird IMO.

Kerilyntaryn21

It doesn't matter what name you call them, more than one time or another you will confuse their na m es, so don't let that stop you using a name you like

Thank you everyone for your other suggestions!

I like Amira, and Tallulah and Yael. My partner likes Kailani but I’m not sure...

There’s a few other possible contenders in there too. We need to sit down and actually have a chat and look at meanings I think too.

It’s interesting that some of you think Aaliyah and Mahalia are dissimilar enough to get away with and some don’t... my partner thinks it’s fine and I want it to be fine but suspect I would be constantly tripping over their names.

We say Ah lee a or Ahhhhh Lee a. Depending on which side of the family.

My mother in law assures me I’ll do that anyway yelling for them to come to dinner regardless of their names but... I don’t know!!

Luminescence

I think Mahalia is too similar, it basically contains your daughter’s name within the sounds already (a-li-a). Samara is pretty and fits nicely with Aaliyah.

Others:

Nahla

Safiyah

Maia / Maya

Amara (if you don’t mind another A name)

Sahara

Sienna

Soraya

Sariah

Zahra/ Zara

Zoe

Evanna

Viara

Xanthe

Zelda

I like Kailani or Kalani as a suggestion too. What about Nalani?

Edited by Luminescence

Sancti-claws

I think Mahalia is too similar, it basically contains your daughter’s name within the sounds already (a-li-a).

How do you pronounce Mahalia? I have always pronounced it with a long a (ay?) in the middle which takes it away from the extended a in aa-li-a.

And it is funny that Yael is too Jewish - my friend with that name is Egyptian,

• 4 weeks later...
Advertisement