IGNORED

What's your unpopular opinion?

Darryl

I hate black tapware.

And it's everywhere now! DH and I went to look at some display homes on the weekend and every. single. build. had matte black tapware. All I can think of is how hard it'd be to keep clean especially in a kitchen sink.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Seayork2002

• Lurker

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodsmoke might smell nicer than cigarettes but it's just as bad for health. Look at places like Launceston that have a few woodsmoke deaths every year because they're in a valley.

https://menzies.utas.edu.au/news-and-events/media-releases/2013/reduction-in-air-pollution-from-wood-heaters-associated-with-reduced-risk-of-death

Edited by pelagic

Kiwi Bicycle

Unpopular opinion: I love the smell of cigarettes. They smell like youth and fun and flirting and travel.

I must of been a smoker in a previous life. I have had so many dreams of me smoking and enjoying it. But I have never properly smoked ( just tried a shishka in Egypt once).

Sancti-claws

I love the smell of unlit cigarettes and matches and I LOVE the smell of petrol

Not together, I hope!

Unpopular opinion: I love the smell of cigarettes. They smell like youth and fun and flirting and travel.

Tobacco, woodsmoke and pastry is the smell of visiting grandparents as a kid.

My grandmother's perfume was eau de Peter Stuyvesant!!

I used to love the odd whiff of the old diesel busses when I walked past one.

And I've never smoked but every so often I walk past a smoker and breathe in and enjoy my one breath of second hand smoke. Not all cigarettes, must be one particular brand.

My unpopular opinion (actually might not be that un popular) is using gold leaf on food is a wank.

master chef tonight the guest chef used a piece the size of a post it note on a dumpling dish! Looked so try hard and wankerish.

squeekums-the-elf

So why are pellet burner fires not being promoted in OZ? . I Googled and they are being sold here but hardily anyone buys them.

$2,880 - $7,130 is why they not popular

Plus 1 15kg, only last 20 hours at 15 a pop.

Cost us 500 to buy a 2nd hand wood fireplace another 100 to install it and wood was 35 a year, the council permit to cut firewool locally

I hate black tapware.

Agreed. I also hate the bathroom taps in this house - giant rectangular taps with sharp edges and very sharp corners, and the bath one is right over the middle of the bath, I have to leave a plastic cup over it to avoid injuries.

ImperatorFuriosa

Lined-Little-Chick-size-restricted.gif

I don't mnd it unless it's White Ox which gets smoked a bit in my area. That shit is like an untended garbage fire and smells like poverty, stigma and a lack of hope. This isn't said with resentment or judgement at those smoking it because I understand all the reasons but yeah, it smells like loss of hope and very little else to keep people tethered to this world.

It also smells like bad policy because the only levers govt will pull to support behaviour change involve social shaming and financial disincentives. That's worked extremely well in eradicating smoking almost entirely in middle class populations who have something to lose.. But in areas with large pockets of entrenched poverty even the financial disincentives just mean you now see the odd person walking along picking up butts in a plastic bag to take home and roll into "dumpers". Yeah ew, especially with covid but that's the contrast of policy effects.

And the shaming? Current research all agrees that entrenched addictions are maintained by a sense of shame, fear and social disconnection. They are making that worse. Knowingly so - against what the research tells us - because the real solutions for that group of smokers means money spent giving those people other community supports rather than revenue gained. Which means a liveable social safety net, access to affordable housing, access to places of safety when in violent relationships, access to rehab facilites to treat other addictions, access to trauma informed mental healthcare, access to ways back into paid work etc.

So another of my unpopular opinions is until we as a society are willing to do that hard stuff, we are probably going to have to put up with the stink and flow on health effects down the chain to us all.

If I could magic up a wand, it would be one to redirect everyone's frustrations towards the fact that in the easy rhetoric of the "hand up not the hand out" ,the "hand up" doesn't actually exist in any meaningful way.. And we start using that knowlege to demand better for people because the manner in which we care for our poorest blows back on us all, quite literally at times.

I hate black tapware.

And it's everywhere now! DH and I went to look at some display homes on the weekend and every. single. build. had matte black tapware. All I can think of is how hard it'd be to keep clean especially in a kitchen sink.

This. And to me they look like they’d feel like blackboards, all dry and chalky, which just makes me gag.

Spidey_Senses

Woodsmoke might smell nicer than cigarettes but it's just as bad for health. Look at places like Launceston that have a few woodsmoke deaths every year because they're in a valley.

https://menzies.utas.edu.au/news-and-events/media-releases/2013/reduction-in-air-pollution-from-wood-heaters-associated-with-reduced-risk-of-death

I suppose as a very serious camper I should be worried about this. :cry:

-

On the topic of Bindi Irwin, I dont know that much about her but my DD (10 yo) is a huge fan for all the reasons a PP posted. I think she symbolises resilience to young people as well by continuing on with her wildlife work after going through such a tragedy of her dads death.

Fruitmincepies

I hate gold tapware. No matter how expensive, it still looks cheap and nasty to me.

I’ve always thought this too. A few months ago we moved into a house with bewdiful 80s gold tapware throughout most of the house, and it’s actually grown on me a little. I wouldn’t put it in myself, but I dislike it less than I thought I would.

Silverstreak

I love gold tap ware. :ninja: But only if it's in a place with old fashioned fixtures and fittings, not an 80s peach bathroom.

I love pink bathrooms, like on the block last season.

I quite like gold tapware in the right design, but agree on the black tapware hate. I've heard it can chip off too, and can you imagine the toothpaste and soap scum in a kid's bathroom?

*shudder*

I suppose as a very serious camper I should be worried about this. :cry:

-

On the topic of Bindi Irwin, I dont know that much about her but my DD (10 yo) is a huge fan for all the reasons a PP posted. I think she symbolises resilience to young people as well by continuing on with her wildlife work after going through such a tragedy of her dads death.

It feels so unfair to call a young woman "insipid" and "too pure" (I know you didn't but a PP did). With that at one end and "too slutty" "attention seeking" etc at the other, what the fuck can a woman do to be exactly the right amount of interesting and good? It feels like a truly hopeless endeavour.

I had to look up both black tapware AND pink bathrooms.

The images of the black tapware all I could think of was - oh look, a Star Wars theme, rocking that Stormtrooper vibe.

As to the pink thing - that shade should be left back in the 50s, when it was last the in thing. We had a bath and basin in that shade and it looks feral with toothpaste and soap the day after you clean it. In fact at a certain point it never looks clean no matter what you do.

I love gold tap ware. :ninja: But only if it's in a place with old fashioned fixtures and fittings, not an 80s peach bathroom.

I have gold lever tapware, (i really like them to turn on and off) the whole bathroom is done up in a 20s style, victorian patterned tiles, big gold framed mirror, wooden furniture and claw foot bath etc. I think it's about 40 years old but still looks good.

I have mostly gold power switches or little round ones.

Silverstreak

I have gold lever tapware, (i really like them to turn on and off) the whole bathroom is done up in a 20s style, victorian patterned tiles, big gold framed mirror, wooden furniture and claw foot bath etc. I think it's about 40 years old but still looks good.

I have mostly gold power switches or little round ones.

Ooh, that sounds really nice, particularly the claw foot bath.

I also think Steve Irwin was an annoying imbecile.

and FFS, now there are twerps who behave and sound just like him on the Bondi Vet!

Advertisement