IGNORED

Laundry reno - combo washer/dryer?

cardamom

VeritasVinumArte

I am in Melbourne and dry everything in a dryer (years of living in apartments where you were not allowed to put any drying on balconies). Our house is tiny and laundry would not dry in the 1m between us and next door, plus my kids have enough issues with allergies.

I do about 10-12 loads on average each weekend. My “excess” power usage equates to about $2-3 a week for my wash days compared to the other days. That is over 10-12 loads done (which also includes the washing).

My dryer is a big Bosch 8/9kgs dryer so big drum size (but takes up same dimensions as old Simpson 4kgs).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Basil

• cardamom

• LemonMyrtle

• TheMagician

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep the dryer in the garage. I find it better anyway because I don’t have to deal with condensation in the house.

Silverstreak

We have a European laundry in the kitchen (eg behind cupboard doors) and the only way we can fit things is to stack the dryer on top of the washing machine and still no room for a bench.

So I would stack if it meant you got more bench space. I like having a dryer in Melbourne, I try not to use it in Summer, but now we're in Autumn I use it quite a bit (particularly next week where it is forecast to rain practically every day.)

My dream house will have bench height washer and dryer and a bench for folding clothes, plus maybe some pull out airing racks!

Kiwi Bicycle

I am in Melbourne and I have managed just using a tall clothes airer placed over my heating vent. Sheets get chucked over the top with the clothes on the lines underneath. Yes, it requires me to change the sheet for the next sheet but I am already paying for heating. In regards to condensation, my house isn't well insulated with wooden windows.

SleepyBear

Not in Melb but use my dryer for 90% of my washing. I'm time poor and do copious amounts of washing that hanging up and pulling it all in just takes too much time so only use clothes airer for the items that can't go in the dryer. Have been doing backyard renovations for the best part of a year so outside line isn't an option but I prefer the feeling of clothes and towels from the dryer anyway.

TheMagician

I don't like combo machines. I do far too may loads of washing a day/week, there would be no time for drying it in the same machine! It would drive me nuts!

I have a Miele washing machine, it does quick loads too, and you can add that lost sock.

I have a tumble drier that is 33 years old and still going strong. I don't use it much (mainly if my DD has back to back shifts and her uniform needs washing and drying in a hurry) but it's handy to have. They don't make them like they used to, so I don't expect it to die anytime soon. It's currently in our spare bedroom as our laundry is being renovated.

I am obsessed, obsessed with drying washing on the line though. So it all goes out there!

Combo washer dryers are the pits. To save space get a stacking set and get one that has a pill out shelf in between them- it’s amazing for extra bench space and folding.

I would get separate washer and dryer and have recently done so. Paid a fortune for Bosch 9kg each that stack together, and yes you can get a pull out folding bench as suggested above. I never had a dryer but I've been totally converted. Heat pump dryer uses minimal electricity, is quiet as a mouse, both still have faster options and I can still blast up the heat in the dryer if I want to for towels etc as it has a hundred different setting options. I'm also in Melb and so so glad I went down this path as I was so sick of washing inside. No condensation as it extracts water into a reservoir so I can see just how much water was having to come out of my clothes and into my home by air drying before! Tried combo with an old machine of my parents and found it totally useless, of course once you are using the dryer component you can't do the next load of washing, and the dryer was half the capacity so by the time you've hung up half the load or left it sitting there for hours while the first half dries, may as well not even have it at all.

Yeah, screw the space, I want a dryer. (Am now understanding why my neighbours laughed away my offer to pay for the load of laundry I dried in their machine!)

My washer and dryer are set up side by side with a bench over the top. I have storage above half the bench and a window. I have had them stacking with a pull out shelf too. It just depends on your space and what would be the best configuration.

SFmummyto3

I’ve had two of the combo washer/dryers and by far prefer my current second one to the first.

First was the Bosch, I’d had the separate ones previously and had been very happy. The dryer part of the combo though broke down after only two years. Had it repaired twice and it was a complete dud. Washer still worked well but was very disappointed overall. Repairman said it could not be fixed and he’s seen the same issue with many of this brand combo.

When I did a previous Reno I decided to buy another combo as also usually line dry with the smaller dryer usage and had only a small space. This time I took the advice of the previous repairman 😆 and he recommended the Fisher amd Paykel combo. I’ve had it now for a few years and it hasn’t missed a beat *touch wood! I usually use the Quick wash 45mins or the Delicates for hand washing. I’m so happy with it amd would definitely recommend. I have three kids and it is heavily used.

worked out my Miele heat pump dryer costs us 6.3cents per load if we’re buying electricity

How did you get to this number if they use 1.5kWh per load?

Lesley225

First was the Bosch, I’d had the separate ones previously and had been very happy. The dryer part of the combo though broke down after only two years. Had it repaired twice and it was a complete dud. Washer still worked well but was very disappointed overall. Repairman said it could not be fixed and he’s seen the same issue with many of this brand combo.

What kind of dryer did you buy?

How did you get to this number if they use 1.5kWh per load?

Mine uses less than 1kWh for a full cotton load on the eco cycle. It’s about 0.7.

Mine uses less than 1kWh for a full cotton load on the eco cycle. It’s about 0.7.

Are you paying only $0.10 per kWh? :o

Are you paying only $0.10 per kWh? :o

I think it’s 11.something. I know we are lucky and don’t expect to keep it forever. I’m sure the company will force us to change plans eventually. Just like our legacy mobile plans with Telstra that they finally forced us to change last year. And our health insurance...

I think it’s 11.something.

Wow! Our cheapest rate (off peak) is 13.71+GST so more like 15c. And that's only 10pm to 7am so not very usable.

Heat pump dryers are the most efficient. The old style dryers are expensive to run.

True, but my old tumble dryer took 40 minutes to dry a load, my heat pump takes 2-3 hours. So I wonder which one is actually cheaper? I’d have to work it out.

My new Bosch heat pump dryer can dry a full load (to the "extra dry" setting) in around 90 minutes. The timer initially says 3 hours, but then it adjust itself through the cycle to be just under 90 minutes. My washer can spin at 1400 RPM though which would speed up the drying process. My old vented cheapy dryer also took around 90 minutes.

OP, get the dryer. Heat pump if you can afford to. I got mine delivered a few weeks ago (also in Melbourne) and it is a game changer. I have two filthy children and do at least a load a day of clothes, then the sheets and towels as extra loads. It has seriously saved my sanity with the cold weather not needing to have 5,000 airing racks strategically placed through the house.

I would get separate washer and dryer and have recently done so. Paid a fortune for Bosch 9kg each that stack together, and yes you can get a pull out folding bench as suggested above. I never had a dryer but I've been totally converted. Heat pump dryer uses minimal electricity, is quiet as a mouse, both still have faster options and I can still blast up the heat in the dryer if I want to for towels etc as it has a hundred different setting options. I'm also in Melb and so so glad I went down this path as I was so sick of washing inside. No condensation as it extracts water into a reservoir so I can see just how much water was having to come out of my clothes and into my home by air drying before! Tried combo with an old machine of my parents and found it totally useless, of course once you are using the dryer component you can't do the next load of washing, and the dryer was half the capacity so by the time you've hung up half the load or left it sitting there for hours while the first half dries, may as well not even have it at all.

That’s the exact set we have- game changer.

I too have only heard bad things about the combos. My parents moved into a house with one, and they actually bought a dryer and installed in within cupboard space on the other side of the laundry as the combo dryer was so bad.

I have a miele heat pump dryer and love it. I set it on the extra dry option and find it only takes about an hour and 20 minutes, sometimes less. I was not sure if I would get the use out of it when I bought it, but I definitely do. We live in a cold climate and do not run the heater at night when in bed. I was finding it would take at least 2 days on the clothes horse inside for my clothes to dry on a clothes horse, and they would stink. I have a kid with a dustmite allergy, so was not great deying inside and adding moisture to the air - perfect conditions for dust mites.

I was surprised how nicely the heat pump dried things. It did not dry by blasting hot air like my last dryer. It felt more gentle on clothes and I know feel comfortable putting some items in there that I would never have put in our old dryer. And best of all now we have solar, I don’t feel guilty about using it in summer as it does not cost me anything on a hot day to use it. Love my heat pump dryer and it even has an ironing cycle :)

SFmummyto3

What kind of dryer did you buy?

My original separate washer and dryer was Bosch. Then bought a Bosch combo due to lack of space and it was the dryer part of the combo that stopped working, but the washing part still worked fine. I have now had a Fisher and Paykel combo for the past three or so years and it's terrific, I really like it and it hasn't skipped a beat *touch wood.

Speaking of off peak electricity - get an appliance with a timer so you can use it for off peak or high solar times. My dishwasher and dryer have timers but the washing machine does not. I set the dishwasher to come on when I know solar will cover the usage, and then have the dryer come on when the dishwasher finishes.

I live in apartment and love love love my heat pump dryer.

My ex wanted it but so glad I got to keep it!

Will never buy anything else and have no shame In using it at all.

TheMagician

Speaking of off peak electricity - get an appliance with a timer so you can use it for off peak or high solar times. My dishwasher and dryer have timers but the washing machine does not. I set the dishwasher to come on when I know solar will cover the usage, and then have the dryer come on when the dishwasher finishes.

I do the same. My dishwasher and washing machine come on every morning at 9am!

The dryer is 33 years old, so no timer but very rarely use it anyway.

Advertisement