IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

Was due to have flu vaccine today then covid in two weeks. Came down with a heavy cold/virus over the weekend- ended up having a covid test instead. Bah humbug.

Bornagirl

59 year old DH is booked in to get his first shot at 1:30 pm tomorrow.

I'm only 46, with no underlying health conditions, and not a frontline worker, so it might be the end of this year before I can get my first; but I'll be doing so as soon as I can.

Are you in Victoria? I have heard its possible to get vaccinated now if you are under 50 with informed consent.

I am just over 50 in NSW and am seeing the GP ahead of eligibility in a couple of weeks to discuss.

Pretty sure that's only for those in the specific categories (frontline worker, illness etc) and to get the AZ (with informed consent) rather than wait for the Pfizer.

Only over 50 able to get jab from today to my knowledge, unless you fit another category.

mandelbrot

Barwon Health have online bookings for Pfizer available. They release them incrementally so you might need to check back regularly. I am booked in for Saturday. I just checked now and there are spots tomorrow and Sat left.

Iamferalz

I'm only 46, with no underlying health conditions, and not a frontline worker, so it might be the end of this year before I can get my first; but I'll be doing so as soon as I can.

Are you in Victoria? I have heard its possible to get vaccinated now if you are under 50 with informed consent.

I am just over 50 in NSW and am seeing the GP ahead of eligibility in a couple of weeks to discuss.

Vaccination available to over 50 Australia wide from today.

My GP in NSW is not yet offering it to over 50s yet, so I have to wait until that’s rolled out via their booking system.

Iamferalz

Pretty sure that's only for those in the specific categories (frontline worker, illness etc) and to get the AZ (with informed consent) rather than wait for the Pfizer.

Only over 50 able to get jab from today to my knowledge, unless you fit another category.

Thanks BAG, I will correct my post.

Bornagirl

Vaccination available to over 50 Australia wide from today.

My GP in NSW is not yet offering it to over 50s yet, so I have to wait until that’s rolled out via their booking system.

I could only book with my GP for late June, which I did.

Then I discovered a local clinic had vacancies on 17th May, so cancelled my GP and booked that one.

Then I read about the booking number for the hubs which opened today, called them at 8:30 and got an appointment for today!

Obviously it depends on your health - if I'd been where I was 20 years ago there's not a snowflake's hope in hell I'd have done it anywhere other than my GP, if they had it, even if it meant waiting.

Cancelled my appt as dr said wait for Pfizer.

He was saying it's all great for the govt that it's over 50 but they need to receive 300-400 a week to meet their over 70s. But recently they've been getting 50 doses a week.

Iamferalz

Then I discovered a local clinic had vacancies on 17th May, so cancelled my GP and booked that one.

Then I read about the booking number for the hubs which opened today, called them at 8:30 and got an appointment for today!

Obviously it depends on your health - if I'd been where I was 20 years ago there's not a snowflake's hope in hell I'd have done it anywhere other than my GP, if they had it, even if it meant waiting.

That’s interesting, I will look out for other local opportunities along your experiences.

My health is pretty good with the exception of having quite severe anaemia at times and currently managed. I doubt it will be an issue but doesn’t hurt to ask!

Are you in Victoria? I have heard its possible to get vaccinated now if you are under 50 with informed consent. Edited to add that is only if you are in a designated group such as a frontline worker.

No, we’re in SA.

Bornagirl

That’s interesting, I will look out for other local opportunities along your experiences.

My health is pretty good with the exception of having quite severe anaemia at times and currently managed. I doubt it will be an issue but doesn’t hurt to ask!

They ask some pretty extensive questions - the appointment I was expecting to take 5 x minutes took more like 20 - 30 minutes while they went through all of the information to double, triple check.

Iamferalz

They ask some pretty extensive questions - the appointment I was expecting to take 5 x minutes took more like 20 - 30 minutes while they went through all of the information to double, triple check.

Really good to hear this. I had also assumed a quick jab and go too.

Barwon Health have online bookings for Pfizer available. They release them incrementally so you might need to check back regularly. I am booked in for Saturday. I just checked now and there are spots tomorrow and Sat left.

That is interesting. On the news this morning (MSM though so might be completely rubbish) they said that they are waiting on the order for VIC before anyone else can get Pfiizer.

Is it any wonder there is so much confusion out there.

Phizer vaccines have been opened in our region to adult household contacts of frontline workers (DH is at the port) so I’ll be getting my first round next week.

I could go on the wait list for Astra Zeneca due to my cancer history, but my GP advised to definitely go with Phizer if I could, otherwise it could be a year or more wait for it.

Really good to hear this. I had also assumed a quick jab and go too.

Indeed. And you are not allowed to leave until 15 mins after. They write the time on your sticker label.

I just heard again in the news that the supply of Pfizer is extremely low and will be for months to come and that anyone one other than absolute front line workers will not be getting them.

Unless I was one of those workers I'd be booking for AZ even if I'd been told I was able to get a Pfizer to be honest.

Kiwi Bicycle

I have to shake my head at the 65 year old guy who had a clot issue, describing himself as fit as a fiddle before his vaccination.

I don’t believe in coincidences,” he told The Courier Mail. “If I’m fighting fit, vertical, extremely active one minute and then on my death bed the next. The only thing that’s changed is the AstraZeneca vaccine that I’ve had.

The civil engineer was on blood-thinning medication and also had type 2 diabetes and two stents in his heart.

I dunno. I know a fair few 60+ who have had stents and diabetes who are very fit. One swims 5km most days and cycles something like 70km a week. They are fitter than any 40 year old I know. So I get why what someone is diagnosed with might not fit with their lived experience.

I have to shake my head at the 65 year old guy who had a clot issue, describing himself as fit as a fiddle before his vaccination.

I don’t believe in coincidences,” he told The Courier Mail. “If I’m fighting fit, vertical, extremely active one minute and then on my death bed the next. The only thing that’s changed is the AstraZeneca vaccine that I’ve had.

The civil engineer was on blood-thinning medication and also had type 2 diabetes and two stents in his heart.

I had no idea vertical was a plus. I’m doing better than I thought....

I dunno. I know a fair few 60+ who have had stents and diabetes who are very fit. One swims 5km most days and cycles something like 70km a week. They are fitter than any 40 year old I know. So I get why what someone is diagnosed with might not fit with their lived experience.

It's not the stents as such, I agree, most people feel a new lease on life after then but it is the anti coagulants and Type 2 Diabetes that would make his statement seem just a little ridiculous.

I don't think anyone argues that 4 in every million AZ doses can cause a clotting issue so I am not sure what his beef is about.

Julie3Girls

Doesn’t matter how fit he is. Fact is, if he on blood thinners and has diabetes then he has preexisting medical conditions. How can he not see that?

Bornagirl

Yeah, fit on top of no underlying medical conditions is still better than fit on top of underlying medical conditions.

I was very fit when I had severe, and difficult to control blood pressure for 20 years. I'll take my minor underlying conditions and a bit less fitness now, over my overall risks during that time.

Underlying medical conditions might be 'under control', but they can still cause issues in management of, and treatment for unrelated issues.

LemonMyrtle

On the coronacast Dr swan said that pre existing conditions are not related to the blood clot thing you get from the vaccine. The vaccine blood clots are a specific condition that is caused by the vaccine. And very rare. So women on the pill and other people with blood clot risks, aren’t at greater or lesser risk of getting the vaccine blood clots.

He should of been given the Pfizer then (or given an option).

Why was he not given a choice?

This is my beef with this mass vaccination shit, just give us a choice, FFS!

No one in my family are getting vaccinated & that includes MIL in a nursing home.

EFS:

He chose to have the vaccination, we can all choose to have it or not, like you have chosen. He could have chosen to wait for a Pfizer but he didn't, it's not like there has not been transparency about this rare blood clotting.

Thankfully there are still plenty of people who care for community enough ( as evidenced by the turn out at the vaccination hubs) to take the ridiculously low risk.

Vaccination is the only way to end this pandemic.

Advertisement