IGNORED

Who's getting the vaccine?

amdirel

the symptoms of vaccine-induced clotting, as they were known so far, included:

Severe gut pain commencing 4–20 days after receiving the vaccine

A persistent headache unresponsive to paracetamol

A general feeling of systemic unwellness beyond four days after the vaccination

Stroke-like symptoms, seizures or vomiting

the stroke-like symptoms, also known as a transient ischaemic attack, could feel like:

Dizziness

Transient loss of speech or balance

Weakness on one side of the body

Confusion

Blurred vision

Iamferalz

Pfizer and Bio Tech expects to make $34 billion in vaccine sales this year and their business model projects high revenues for years to come due to the likelihood that Covid will not go away and will be endemic in the world, with fast developing variants needing repeat doses of the vaccine.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/pfizer-eyes-34b-in-covid-19-sales-in-2021-sees-demand-lasting-for-years-20210505-p57oxk.html

Bornagirl

Watch all the naysayers get vaccinated when they find they're being left behind / can't visit.

Once we have sufficient numbers vaccinated, we will be able to be more relaxed (home quarantine etc) and just like the flu, covid WILL be in the community. To protect those in aged care, it will be like the bad flu year - no vax no visit. My BIL was furious, claiming 'his right', yeah well others have rights too, and sometimes they trump yours.

(I'm not talking about people with good reason not to be vaccinated.)

I have to shake my head at the 65 year old guy who had a clot issue, describing himself as fit as a fiddle before his vaccination.

I don’t believe in coincidences,” he told The Courier Mail. “If I’m fighting fit, vertical, extremely active one minute and then on my death bed the next. The only thing that’s changed is the AstraZeneca vaccine that I’ve had.

The civil engineer was on blood-thinning medication and also had type 2 diabetes and two stents in his heart.

Doesn’t matter how fit he is. Fact is, if he on blood thinners and has diabetes then he has preexisting medical conditions. How can he not see that?

My DH is a HCW and the stories he can tell about getting a medical history from patients as a medical student:

"Any health concerns or conditions I should know about?"

"No, I'm fit as a fiddle!"

"Any regular medications?"

"Oh, just my insulin, my blood thinners, my thyroid medicines......"

I have to shake my head at the 65 year old guy who had a clot issue, describing himself as fit as a fiddle before his vaccination.

I don’t believe in coincidences,” he told The Courier Mail. “If I’m fighting fit, vertical, extremely active one minute and then on my death bed the next. The only thing that’s changed is the AstraZeneca vaccine that I’ve had.

The civil engineer was on blood-thinning medication and also had type 2 diabetes and two stents in his heart.

Doesn’t matter how fit he is. Fact is, if he on blood thinners and has diabetes then he has preexisting medical conditions. How can he not see that?

My DH is a HCW and the stories he can tell about getting a medical history from patients as a medical student:

"Any health concerns or conditions I should know about?"

"No, I'm fit as a fiddle!"

"Any regular medications?"

"Oh, just my insulin, my blood thinners, my thyroid medicines......"

This is true. Feeling fit because you are on these medications is a miracle of science. There is a difference between actual fitness and feeling fit.

Of course I am most grateful that medications do just that for so many people.

Bornagirl

Is there a relationship between the clotting issues and diabetes?

I wouldn't have a clue about any of that, but as per pp, presumably not.

What there IS a relationship with, is the treatment for condition X, when you are already on a finely balanced combination of medications for conditions A & B. That was me for several decades, any new condition made harder to treat because of the impact it would have on either the condition, or the effectiveness of the medication for those conditions, or the risk of adding further medications into the mix.

Anyways, it was explained to me very carefully, that if I developed anything on the separate list for day four - twenty, then seek medical help asap.

Bornagirl

Watch all the naysayers get vaccinated when they find they're being left behind / can't visit.

Once we have sufficient numbers vaccinated, we will be able to be more relaxed (home quarantine etc) and just like the flu, covid WILL be in the community. To protect those in aged care, it will be like the bad flu year - no vax no visit. My BIL was furious, claiming 'his right', yeah well others have rights too, and sometimes they trump yours.

You do realise people can still see & visit their relations (the ones residing in nursing homes I'm specifically talking about) despite not being vaccinated?

Ask me how I know!

You do realise we don't have sufficient numbers vaccinated??? Which is the premise of my post.

Read my post again. When we had a bad flu year, many aged care homes required visitors to have had the flu jab, or no visit for specific period. I've told you how I know, so I'm not sure why you're conflating that with something else!

I clearly realise everything else that is happening, and that given many people are not yet eligible for the covid jab, it would only be an idiot who thought unvaccinated people could not visit.

In time, when everyone's had the opportunity to be vaccinated, and covid is circulating the way flu currently does, what do you think is going to happen? Exactly the same thing is going to happen: a small outbreak, sorry, no vax no visit.

I'm fully vaccinated for covid. I'm just waiting a few weeks past the recommended time frame for the flu shot and I'll be good to go for winter.

I had my first AZ shot yesterday. I was crook last night - shivering, exhausted (but couldn't sleep) and I vomited. I knew there were probable side effects so I booked it for the start of a few days off work. I am still a bit groggy today. Based on my experience I would advise people not to commit to anything for a day or two after your vacc. But I am glad I had it - no regrets.

You do realise people can still see & visit their relations (the ones residing in nursing homes I'm specifically talking about) despite not being vaccinated?

Ask me how I know!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should nor that it will continue that way if too many people decide to not vaccinate.

Having any chronic disease or medical condition whether it be diabetes or something else means the body is less able to cope when they are faced with some medications or indeed another health condition and often means that treatment is less effective.

I can not find anything about a particular correlation between diabetes and the vaccine thrombosis issue but it is just that if you have diabetes your immune system does not respond the same way as a healthy person's does. Sick people just usually get more sick unfortunately.

This will be state dependent. In SA, it is currently against the law, unless you fit a medical exemption category.

Bornagirl

Ask me how I know!

You do realise we don't have sufficient numbers vaccinated??? Which is the premise of my post.

Read my post again. When we had a bad flu year, many aged care homes required visitors to have had the flu jab, or no visit for specific period. I've told you how I know, so I'm not sure why you're conflating that with something else!

I clearly realise everything else that is happening, and that given many people are not yet eligible for the covid jab, it would only be an idiot who thought unvaccinated people could not visit.

In time, when everyone's had the opportunity to be vaccinated, and covid is circulating the way flu currently does, what do you think is going to happen? Exactly the same thing is going to happen: a small outbreak, sorry, no vax no visit.

I am not talking about CV-19 vaccinations, I'm talking about the Flu.

I KNOW not everyone has been vaccinated for CV-19, duh!

I am telling you people who have NOT been vaccinated FOR THE FLU can & still see their relatives in Nursing Homes.

And I'm telling you, and a pp is telling you, that some can't and have in fact been refused permission during a bad flu year.

I'd be wary of any place that didn't place restrictions if flu was around.

Why does your personal experience trump our personal experience.

Some aged care homes are hopeless, as we all well know. Glad ours stopped our BIL visiting during a bad flu year.

Julie3Girls

I am telling you people who have NOT been vaccinated FOR THE FLU can & still see their relatives in Nursing Homes.

I’ve found that the ban from visiting during flu season tends to vary a lot. Different homes will have different rules, some will be stricter than others, with insistence on vaccinations, others will just ask you to stay away if you have flu symptoms, some just don’t seem to care

Can also depend on where you are ... local areas know if they are having a majorly bad flu outbreak, and respond accordingly.

So yes I completely believe you that you know people who visit nursing homes without vaccinations. I also believe that other homes do insist on vaccinations during flu season, or during a bad flu outbreak.

It’s the same at the moment with Covid - when there is an outbreak of Covid in a local area, they are shutting the nursing homes completely. Once vaccinations rates are up there and available to all, maybe next year who knows, I have no doubt that vaccination status could be a factor,

We would have had to provide evidence of flu vaccination to be able to visit my MIL in her aged care facility last year, but we didn’t need to provide any proof just a few weeks ago. Not all facilities will be exactly the same country wide though.

Ask me how I know!

'SOME PEOPLE' who are not vaccinated can visit their relatives in Aged Care Facilities. Personally I wouldn't visit unvaccinated in Flu season even if the facility thought it was okay.....because I don't think it is ok.

My mother died in aged care as a result of Flu related pneumonia. What a shame that not everyone thought it was necessary and the facility at the time did not insist. They do now.

Bornagirl

'SOME PEOPLE' who are not vaccinated can visit their relatives in Aged Care Facilities. Personally I wouldn't visit unvaccinated in Flu season even if the facility thought it was okay.....because I don't think it is ok.

My mother died in aged care as a result of Flu related pneumonia. What a shame that not everyone thought it was necessary and the facility at the time did not insist. They do now.

Exactly. I was glad to hear that my MIL's refused entry to my BIL (who was a school teacher, so mixing with lots of teenagers). Interestingly they had zero covid cases.

If I was looking for an aged care home now, how they acted with infections rife in the community (flu then, and Covid later) would be one of the questions I'd be asking.

Phillipa Crawford

The Victorians intending to get vaccinated might find this article interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-06/michael-rowland-norman-swan-get-covid-jabs/100117222

Mirrors my experience

We jumped the gun and rushed to Royal Exhibition Buildings the minute May 3rd was announced for over 50's, ended up being jabbed on April 24th as they didn't have a lot of customers.

Quick, easy and incredibly professional.

Minimal side effects- apart from a slightly sore arm.

Main impact is a nice warm glow that we ourselves are now somewhat protected and that we are doing what we can to claw our way back to normal for society.

Obviously some people don't feel that or want that- sad really.

The Victorians intending to get vaccinated might find this article interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-06/michael-rowland-norman-swan-get-covid-jabs/100117222

I like seeing that queue of people. Warms my heart. Wish I could join them.

I have the same feeling. Just when I feel that we are beating our heads against a brick wall these visions come up that restore my faith in the community.

I’m trying to book my non verbal autistic brother in to get his vaccine. No one else has managed to do this.

Can you book online. My link wasn’t working and the call centre asked to speak to him but hello I’m calling as he can’t talk.

Very very frustrating especially when it’s vital that people like him are vaccinated

End rant.

What state are you in [mention]BKK[/mention] ? Would he tolerate waiting in line at a mass vax centre, or does he need a quieter environment?

Advertisement