• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bad Cat

• Seayork2002

• Lurker

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Escapin Xmas

Yeah ok, the Dandenong and lilydale I can see that.

In what will no doubt be the least popular of opinions: People shouldn't be able to drive their SUVs into the city and inner burbs *ducks*

But then I’ll need two cars, and that’s bad for the environment, and my bank balance.

Or do you propose some sort of car swap zone? Where people that live in the inner burbs, but frequently visit the outer burbs, store their second vehicles at some sort of 4x4 depot outside the zone?

But still. Then only rich people can visit their aging parents that live on a goat track near Sherbrooke forest.

Well as long as I'm being unpopular - how about nobody owns cars? There could be huge banks of hire cars and when I want to go driving in the hills I could go hire an SUV, and when you want to go to Prahran market you can hire a zippy lil Getz.

Back to cars - this exists!! It’s called GoGet and it’s what we use.

Sancti-claws

I would agree normally but I dont get lobster, I have tried it and thought it tasted of nothingness but I hate seafood pasta more

Oh yes, seafood and pasta don't belong together. For me, it ruins two good things.

+1

Also, seafood on pizza is just wrong.

(I make an exception for anchovies, however).

Anchovies are not seafood - and when I was vegetarian they weren't even animal in my mind - they are salty flavour bombs of deliciousness.

@CrankyM do you like Ludovico Einaudi?

I love him but everyone always looks at me blankly when I say his name.

I went to his concert a few years ago, listening to him play live was amazing

If you were visiting a country like India and got stuck there. when Covid started, then I feel for you. However if you chose to travel after Covid started and are now stuck there, then don’t blame anyone but yourself.

Is that you Scomo?

The idiot who went back to get married, yep should have left him there. But what about those who went back to nurse sick or dying relatives? I have a few work colleagues who have a parent with covid, they're elderly and too scared to leave the house and they're alone because their husband / wife have already died from the virus. Should their child not try to go home and look after them, try to make their final days more comfortable or should they be forced to die a lonely death? What if it were your parents? Your lack of sympathy, compassion and understanding is mind blowing.

Edited by Gumbette

I looove Beyond Meat burgers. DH did too and he was a die hard meat eater.

Fake meat from Chinese restaurants, tofu duck, prawns, abalone - I have packets of them in the freezer. DD loves them and they add flavour to stir fries. Not to mention vegetarian calamari, with a bit of tartare sauce, you can’t tell the difference plus that’s a couple of extra squid still happily swimming around.

I don’t get the outrage, no one is making meat eaters consume fake meat. It’s not even like the 4WD vent - eating fake meat doesn’t impact anyone except the person consuming it, so I’m genuinely confused. :thinking:

They feel guilty

Bethlehem

I’m ridiculously excited about the prospect of vegan calamari. I love calamari but have stopped eating it because of how they are killed and how interesting squid are. Now I can eat it again- or at least sort of.

Do you want the details? It's really good - DD & I love it with salad during summer. DH used to steal it too - it even has that rubbery texture.

VictorineTheCatLover

To the lady complaining on a local Facebook page how hard it is to get firewood this year - good, stop polluting the environment.

The best part of living in a soulless new development was the lack of smoke in winter. Now a few suburbs over in an older area and many people are using ancient, inefficient wood heaters.

If you were visiting a country like India and got stuck there. when Covid started, then I feel for you. However if you chose to travel after Covid started and are now stuck there, then don’t blame anyone but yourself.

Is that you Scomo?

The idiot who went back to get married, yep should have left him there. But what about those who went back to nurse sick or dying relatives? I have a few work colleagues who have a parent with covid, they're elderly and too scared to leave the house and they're alone because their husband / wife has already died from the disease. Should their child not try to go home and look after them, try to make their final days more comfortable or should they be forced to die a lonely death? What if it were your parents? Your lack of sympathy, compassion and understanding is mind blowing.

Totally totally different situation. But it's not those ones who are being vocal and threatening to come home via the Maldives is it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/03/my-australian-husband-is-stuck-in-india-all-i-want-is-to-know-he-can-come-home

The Australian government’s drastic decision to temporarily stop all travellers from India entering Australia has me in tears almost every night, struggling to cope with the uncertainty of when I’ll see my husband again.

Before he departed Australia for India in March, I was stressed knowing that repatriation flights were few and far between. But he managed to convince both me and the Australian government (that granted him a travel exemption) that he had to go to visit and care for his mum, his only surviving parent, who is suffering from stage-four cancer. Knowing him, his kindness and conscientiousness, I knew that it wasn’t really a choice for him to be at his dying mother’s side.

Selfish bastard -leaving to fly into India after Covid had started to nurse his sole surviving parent, a mother dying of cancer, guess he only has himself to blame right?

Edited by Gumbette

Yeah when Andrew Bolt says a decision is racist, it's gotta be pretty freaking in your face obviously racist.

[mention]DirtyStreetPie[/mention] exactly. And frankly it makes me angry that people are not even prepared to TRY to understand someone else’s circumstances or how another country works in terms of healthcare etc. do they really think that people are going through the stress of going over there without having a reason that is more then I want to travel. Widen your perception and compassion people. Actually look beyond the basic “I’m travelling to India”.

I have the sincerest empathy for those in India but I am relieved that the travel ban has being put into place. Not because I think it is acceptable to allow vulnerable people to be exposed and for those who are dying but because even fully vaccinated people are contracting the virus. Australia has being incredible protected from the horrendous virus, allowing any people to enter the country puts us at risk of becoming like the rest of the world. I don't believe we are superior or that I am superior either. I am terrified not only for myself and my family but any of those who are unable to have the vax and having n incresed number of possibly infected people in the country and the disease spreading.

Sancti-claws

Wombats are oversexed exhibitionists. As are cats.

Do you ever consider that your life may be a South American novella with an animal twist?

The education system is toothless, the students know it, and teachers are simultaneously being micromanaged (ever increasing paperwork and red tape) and completely unsupported (actual assistance with problem students). It’s getting worse by the year and if it doesn’t improve teachers are going to be leaving the profession in droves.

Sorry to hear that [mention]DirtyStreetPie[/mention] :(

I fully agree teaching has become so much more difficult over the years.

I also think some teachers have awful management/leadership. I was required to provide information (from teachers) to the district office last week (out of the blue requirement), but I gave teachers time off class to gather the information for me. I don't want my staff dealing with more than they should have to (where I can control it).

I’m sorry DSP. I hope at least the break gives you time to rest and rebuild.

I frequently think about looking for a different teaching job but I’ve heard stories about schools with that stupid amount of workload and I’m worried that I would inadvertently end up in one. The devil you know and all that.

I was at breaking point yesterday. I have been unhappy with my current school pretty much my entire time there. Over the years some things have got better while others have got worse. Some days are okay, others make me feel like I’m banging my head against a brick wall. Some days I feel genuine rage and hatred and it takes everything in me to not start smashing up the place and yelling at the students that I fucking hate them (yes, I know that’s not healthy and I wouldn’t want anybody thinking that about my own kids, but that’s how extreme the frustration gets.)

Students actively fight against teachers trying to teach. To get them to stop talking, to stop hitting each other and throwing things at each other, to stop calling out, just so I can fucking TEACH them something, is a constant battle some lessons. There’s the kids who make an animal noise or whistle every time my back is turned to write on the board or I’m trying to help a student on the other side of the classroom. The kids who arc up so much when they get in trouble so you’re torn between picking your battles and being fair (“he called out and he didn’t get a warning!”). The kids who accuse you of racism when they get in trouble. The ones who swear at you or make abusive threats because you’ve told them yet again to stop calling out.

No, not all students, and not all the time. But too often. And of course I’m following it up. I’m doing the seating plans (cue arguments when a student is not in theirs and refuses to move), documenting the poor behaviour, issuing the detentions, following up when they don’t show up, coordinating endlessly with senior staff about said students.

Ultimately, there is almost nothing schools can currently do, discipline wise, that students are actually “afraid” of - ie. that would make them decide to change their behaviour. They’re not afraid of suspensions or detentions. They won’t get repeated even if they learn nothing and fail every test.

I’m a competent, experienced teacher, but there are classes some days that I just cannot teach. I hate feeling useless at my job. I hate that it makes me angry.

Edit - these are not kindy kids I’m talking about, obviously. They are high school, mostly male, some with the physical size and appearance (ie full beards) of grown men.

Alternative to traditional education needs to be mainstreamed and frankly when kids who don’t behave appropriate and are repeatedly causing issues like mentioned above need to be pushed towards those alternatives. There needs to be actual thought put into these alternatives.

The HS my kid goes to has great alternatives programs but it’s a bureaucratic nightmare to have a child “qualify” to join it. They still to English and maths but it’s all of a practical bent and involves practical life skills geared towards getting jobs.

[mention]blueshoe[/mention] hats off to you for all you do, I absolutely could not do high school.

I teach kindy and I'm just about broken. Not by the kids, they're great, but the system that requires so much of teachers and 3 & 4 year old children. All this bull shit about play based learning, but our facilities do not support that at all. Don't get me started on 'nature playgrounds'. Maybe if they didn't bull doze every sign of life when building new schools they wouldn't need to give us a heap of expensive polished logs.

[mention]DirtyStreetPie[/mention] I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I hope you can return to a healthier work load, although I know that's unlikely. I also work 3 days a week and I 'only' teach kindy, the workload is never ending and I can't imagine ever going back full time, with soon to be 3 kids, but I don't know how we'll manage financially in the long term if I don't. I would love to somehow work for myself, but I have no idea what I could do.

Not Escapin Xmas

I’m sorry DSP. I hope at least the break gives you time to rest and rebuild.

I frequently think about looking for a different teaching job but I’ve heard stories about schools with that stupid amount of workload and I’m worried that I would inadvertently end up in one. The devil you know and all that.

I was at breaking point yesterday. I have been unhappy with my current school pretty much my entire time there. Over the years some things have got better while others have got worse. Some days are okay, others make me feel like I’m banging my head against a brick wall. Some days I feel genuine rage and hatred and it takes everything in me to not start smashing up the place and yelling at the students that I fucking hate them (yes, I know that’s not healthy and I wouldn’t want anybody thinking that about my own kids, but that’s how extreme the frustration gets.)

Students actively fight against teachers trying to teach. To get them to stop talking, to stop hitting each other and throwing things at each other, to stop calling out, just so I can fucking TEACH them something, is a constant battle some lessons. There’s the kids who make an animal noise or whistle every time my back is turned to write on the board or I’m trying to help a student on the other side of the classroom. The kids who arc up so much when they get in trouble so you’re torn between picking your battles and being fair (“he called out and he didn’t get a warning!”). The kids who accuse you of racism when they get in trouble. The ones who swear at you or make abusive threats because you’ve told them yet again to stop calling out.

No, not all students, and not all the time. But too often. And of course I’m following it up. I’m doing the seating plans (cue arguments when a student is not in theirs and refuses to move), documenting the poor behaviour, issuing the detentions, following up when they don’t show up, coordinating endlessly with senior staff about said students.

Ultimately, there is almost nothing schools can currently do, discipline wise, that students are actually “afraid” of - ie. that would make them decide to change their behaviour. They’re not afraid of suspensions or detentions. They won’t get repeated even if they learn nothing and fail every test.

I’m a competent, experienced teacher, but there are classes some days that I just cannot teach. I hate feeling useless at my job. I hate that it makes me angry.

Edit - these are not kindy kids I’m talking about, obviously. They are high school, mostly male, some with the physical size and appearance (ie full beards) of grown men.

Mate, you need to find a new school. You’ve done your bit, someone else can have a turn.

And DSP, I hope the break does you good and that the school mgt actually takes note of what is happening... One can dream right?

Phillipa Crawford

[mention]Biscuits[/mention]

Fellow kindergarten teacher here - in Vic.

I hear you.

Love the kids although a bit more support with my needy, covid unsettled ones would be good.

The top down pressure!!!!!!

Early Education is vital therefore parents and bureaucrats want to control it.

Do this , do that teach reading, writing.

We are 70 years old this year. Huge natural playground.

Stop approving centres with no dirt, no yard, just a balcony. You wouldn't do it to animals, why do it to your kids.

Advertisement