IGNORED

General discussion #2

Darryl

riotproof

As some of you know, we are due to arrive back in Australia soonish. I am calling that the government will make 21 day compulsory quarantine soon. i just wish they would either have different rules for low risk countries and/or allow for home quarantine, 21 days. Shit, I had made peace with 14.

Safe travels banyan!

As some of you know, we are due to arrive back in Australia soonish. I am calling that the government will make 21 day compulsory quarantine soon. i just wish they would either have different rules for low risk countries and/or allow for home quarantine, 21 days. Shit, I had made peace with 14.

I really don't think this is likely. Certainly it would not be an evidenced based recommendation if so.

Best of luck getting home safely!

LemonMyrtle

I really don't think this is likely. Certainly it would not be an evidenced based recommendation if so.

Best of luck getting home safely!

Also, it would be very expensive and would limit arrival number even more. I don’t think they will go to 21 days. Extra post-quarantine testing would cover that risk.

Bornagirl

Hopefully the genomic sequencing will be a good pointer.

It's a bit odd reading the exposure sites when it's just one person. I want to know if he ended up buying a bbq or is still looking. Kudos to him for getting tested.

He went to a butcher afterwards so I'm voting yes!

I hope they find the source of the Sydney case quickly.

Every time I think it might be ok to start thinking about travelling interstate - nope.

Iamferalz

It's a bit odd reading the exposure sites when it's just one person. I want to know if he ended up buying a bbq or is still looking. Kudos to him for getting tested.

He travelled an amazingly far distance just to go to a BBQ place. It is not far from the Casula Crossroads hotel too, literally the same block.

I can see why they are concerned about it and apparently he had a high viral load. I wonder what the approach will be considering Sydney is very complacent now with lots of people not bothering to check in.

Let’s hope face masks at the very minimum.

Bornagirl

He travelled an amazingly far distance just to go to a BBQ place. It is not far from the Casula Crossroads hotel too, literally the same block.

I can see why they are concerned about it and apparently he had a high viral load. I wonder what the approach will be considering Sydney is very complacent now with lots of people not bothering to check in.

Let’s hope face masks at the very minimum.

Definitely a worry given no connection, but that got quickly sorted in Queensland - how lucky we are that all resources can be thrown at it.

Haven't been to Sydney, but I found the business owners very good in Newcastle area with making sure people were checking in, in Feb. Better than Vic, and lots of places in Vic don't have to have them. The one area where I found they were hard to find and no one was using them were supermarkets.

Like the bottle shop (Berala) you're probably more likely to spend time standing talking to someone when you're thinking of buying a BBQ than at a supermarket though.

Yes, let's hope masks, relatively small imposition. Not sure where I read it now, but an in depth report into Vic's success is quashing the second wave, showed that masks were the biggest factor, at 40%.

Dadwasathome

The bbq expedition is so obvious and banal. He headed out to Silverwater where there were a couple of places next to each other, but didn’t find what he wanted. He called in at Annandale on the way home and decided what he wanted - but there was only stock at Casula. So he headed out to pick it up, and found on his way home he either needed to pick up fuel after his trip or a gas bottle for the new bbq.

The genomic testing will be interesting - the optometrist he went to on Friday is in the arcade of a hotel that has been a HQ location from the outset. It may just be a geographic coincidence, but who knows?

LemonMyrtle

The bbq expedition is so obvious and banal. He headed out to Silverwater where there were a couple of places next to each other, but didn’t find what he wanted. He called in at Annandale on the way home and decided what he wanted - but there was only stock at Casula. So he headed out to pick it up, and found on his way home he either needed to pick up fuel after his trip or a gas bottle for the new bbq.

The genomic testing will be interesting - the optometrist he went to on Friday is in the arcade of a hotel that has been a HQ location from the outset. It may just be a geographic coincidence, but who knows?

That’s interesting, about the arcade and the optometrist. If I worked at a quarantine hotel and needed some glasses, I’d go to the closest one to work. And you’re so close and cosy with an optometrist during a test (well, you used to be, haven’t been myself since covid), it would make sense that that was a path of infection.

LemonMyrtle

By the way, the checking in systems are STILL crappy in Victoria. Seems like NSW is much better at that, still.

Only places I check in is my sons gymnastics, cause they make us, and the school if I’m there for more than 15 minutes, cause they make us. The local shops don’t make you check in, and many don’t even have visible signage for checking in. Definitely no paper copies for people without phones either. It’s pathetic.

Iamferalz

Yes, let's hope masks, relatively small imposition. Not sure where I read it now, but an in depth report into Vic's success is quashing the second wave, showed that masks were the biggest factor, at 40%.

I saw that article somewhere too. Very impressive!

Iamferalz

By the way, the checking in systems are STILL crappy in Victoria. Seems like NSW is much better at that, still.

Only places I check in is my sons gymnastics, cause they make us, and the school if I’m there for more than 15 minutes, cause they make us. The local shops don’t make you check in, and many don’t even have visible signage for checking in. Definitely no paper copies for people without phones either. It’s pathetic.

We (NSW) used to be good at this but I read somewhere that in recent weeks, check ins have fallen 25% because people relaxed once the virus was eliminated.

The only place that insists on us checking in now is DS’s Taekwondo. Everywhere else has a barcode on the wall or on a table but treat it like it was optional.

Where do you live LM ? (I don't mean suburb just area :P )

Almost every shop I go to at my local has a QR code or paper sign in and sanitiser. I watch and some people just walk straight passed but the shops can't force them I guess. Where I have my coffee you must show them your sign in before they will give you a table.

If we didn't live in a different state I would swear this man sounds just like my DH.

LemonMyrtle

Almost every shop I go to at my local has a QR code or paper sign in and sanitiser. I watch and some people just walk straight passed but the shops can't force them I guess. Where I have my coffee you must show them your sign in before they will give you a table.

Eastern suburbs. Maybe it’s my local shopping centre, but it’s all pretty slack. Wasn’t even enforced at the peak though either.

I hope the length of the quarantine reflects the actual threat from the country you are travelling from. To keep rooms full for 21 days with people who have come from low risk areas sounds like it would be a crazy over reaction.

Good luck.

Eastern suburbs. Maybe it’s my local shopping centre, but it’s all pretty slack. Wasn’t even enforced at the peak though either.

I am south eastern but I do pop into a local shopping strip in the eastern suburb I used to live in to visit 'my' bakery and I'd agree with you at this strip.

Only one place seemed to have a visible QR code.

I think Centre Management at these places need to be more proactive.

purpleduck

Ok, I'll put my hand up and say that I haven't been checking in anywhere - having said that, the only places I go is Coles. Kids' swim class has a check in and I always do that there. We aren't in the east at least.

We have had Covid tests recently, just had colds but always get the testing done if time is off school and any symptoms.

We had some interstate travel plans in the works for July school holidays but they may be canned now.

(Reminder to self - make sure we have our masks and sanitiser and be more diligent with noting where we go.)

Having said that ^^, we must be incredibly boring - other than groceries and 3 local shops, we don't go anywhere else....

Lets hope cases are jumped on - it was nice having things normal for a while....

Lesley225

We (NSW) used to be good at this but I read somewhere that in recent weeks, check ins have fallen 25% because people relaxed once the virus was eliminated.

And they don't make it easy for someone to check in manually. I can't do it online. One pub i went to a few weeks ago had someone on duty to do so but been to a few more restaurants/bars and nothing done.

riotproof

Wow. Masks indoors. 20 cap for homes. No singing dancing unless at a wedding. Greater Sydney. Illawarra. Northern beaches.

LunaFreya

I really hope these don’t increase. It’s my birthday this weekend and I have plans. I hope I don’t have to cancel my plans two years in a row :(

riotproof

I hope so too Luna Freya.

Sunday forecast is rainy. So indoor restaurants will be busy. A lot of people have more than 20 ppl in their extended family.

The questions are ridiculous.

riotproof

I wish they’d stop with the “we’re so great” look at qld and wa and what they’d do.

Julie3Girls

I wish they’d stop with the “we’re so great” look at qld and wa and what they’d do.

That’s a response to the stupid questions implying she is putting in too many restrictions.

Advertisement